Joining the iOS beta testing and Safari Extension

Hello,

I've been considering moving to Zotero for some time. But before I do so, I would like to know if I could join the iOS Beta testing to see if the iPad app fits my needs (I don't mind trying beta software). The most important feature I need from a reference manager is the ability to read articles (and annotate them) while maintaining easy access and order.
Is it still possible to join the beta? (I have registered for beta testing).

Also, I'm wondering about the Safari extension [as an avid Safari user].
I prefer to use the safari extension instead of the chrome version (when it will release). I prefer not to use a different browser.
But, I'm wondering, how will it compare to the chrome version? Will it ever match the capabilities of the chrome version?
Also, are there any plans to port the safari extension to iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 so it would be accessible on iPhones and [especially on] iPads?

Thank you very much for your time,

Yaron
  • Sorry, we have no more iOS beta slots from Apple, so you'll need to wait for the official release.

The Safari extension has been available in the Zotero beta for the last two years, and will likely be released soon with the production version, since the macOS bug preventing it from being released appears to be fixed.
    But, I'm wondering, how will it compare to the chrome version? Will it ever match the capabilities of the chrome version?
    Unlikely. The Safari extension system has always been more limited than those of other browsers, and that remains true even with their adoption of WebExtensions. (We can't use the WebExtension framework in Safari because it's still too buggy there, so we're on another, even-more-limited framework that came before. If we ever can use the WebExtension framework in Safari, the Safari Connector will come a bit closer in functionality to other browsers but is unlikely to support all features.)
    Also, are there any plans to port the safari extension to iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 so it would be accessible on iPhones and [especially on] iPads?
    The iOS app includes a share sheet extension for saving.