Zotero connector unable to download the PDF in ScienceDirect

Hi,

The debug ID is D52977955. Thanks a lot.
  • For a file download failure we actually need a Debug ID from Zotero for a save attempt, not from the Zotero Connector.
  • Hi, @dstillermann D1384819362 is the new submitted Debug ID from Zotero. Thanks.
  • And just to confirm, you're able to access the PDF on that page via the browser?
  • edited November 11, 2021
    yes, I am using the university network and have no problem accessing to the fulltext via the browser.
  • Oh, that's actually an open-access PDF anyway.

I'm able to reproduce the failure via Zotero, though, so we'll take a look.
  • @woodfly: The page in your debug output actually started working for me. Is it working for you? (The failure was due to ScienceDirect's anti-bot attempts, so it's possible it's just intermittent.)
  • edited November 16, 2021
    @dstillman No, it shows "Open-Access PDF" download failure. I also have problems downloading this paper from another PC. It is possible that the anti-bot is mote active in my network.
  • @dstillman Hi, it seems working now. I am not sure whether it is because of the update of zotero or change in network.
  • We didn't change anything. Are you on a different network from when you said it wasn't working, or did you just try again?
  • @dstillman I tried many times using different browsers on the same machine and also another machine. It does not work reliably. Most of time it fails and shows "Open-Access PDF" failure (D1564191590). Only works when I use Edge on one machine and shows "ScienceDirect Full Text PDF" success (D1297462336). When I use Edge on another machine, it does not work.
  • I am having the same issue. I am unable to download any accessed papers
  • edited November 29, 2021
    To follow up on the above, ScienceDirect indeed started doing some additional anti-bot prevention that intermittently breaks downloads, even for open-access files. We're working on a fix (but it's a pain, and not something we have to do for any other site).
  • This should be fixed in the latest desktop beta. The fix for iOS should be out in the next 24 hours.