New Note Editor - image size and editing function

Hi,
Thank you all for the new beta software. I have been enjoying the new mac software and the new note editor looks quite cool.
I have some questions/requests with the new editing functions:

1. the images that I inserted using HTML or drag and drop function (for example, from a desktop image file) are now looking incredibly small and hard to read in the note editor. Since some of these images are diagrams or tables, it is very difficult to read these images from the note editor and/or the backup view. Is there any way to edit/adjust the image size as they show up in the editor?

2. I read from other threads already that it may become difficult to get the HTML editor or source code editing function back. Are there any other ways that I could utilize to edit my note? For example, the old indentation function was incredibly helpful and I used it all the time, I would love to have that back.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through my comments.
  • @fanleny

1) All your images were inserted before upgrading to this new editor right? Could you send a screenshot of note editor with those small images?
    What happens if you insert new images now?

2) We will see what we can do there. How exactly were you using this indentation feature?
  • 1. yes, images were inserted before upgrading to the new editor - at the moment I am able to see a properly formatted note by viewing the "backup"

2. not being able to edit HTML is a limitation that's affecting my work as well
  • @kazzy Are those images just external links to some website (please share a screenshot as well)?. If so, this is not the best way to keep images in your note anyway, because they can be removed from the original website anytime. The new note editor is capable to safely store inserted images in your library, but not the existing and external images yet.

Please tell a little bit more about your workflow, how were you adding those images and what is "properly" formatted?
  • @martynas_b
    1) Yes, all images were inserted before upgrading to this new editor using the HTML function mostly.
    Sample screenshot(left: view in note backup, right: note editor mode, image linked from Wikipedia): https://ibb.co/p3PG12t
    To be honest, I don't know how to insert new images to notes using the new note editor (I used the source code editing with the old editor and format the image size/output), but drag and drop seem to be working okay as the image size(width) adjusts to the editor window size.

2) Indentation works well when I try to work with layers of text but without bullets or numbered lists or quotes. And I guess the current formatting bar is too simplified, that a little bit more function buttons (such as a click to insert image) could be helpful in understanding how to use the note editor.
  • Yes, the image size is very small, and it seems editing "extensions.zotero.note.css" does not work. Has anyone solve the problem?
  • @wuyulele Try the latest beta. It should automatically import your images when note is opened, and show them in full size.
  • @martynas_b thanks a lot for the reply, but it still does not work for me.
  • @wuyulele What are the image types used in those notes? I guess not JPEG/PNG?
  • @martynas_b sorry for the late reply. Images in the new note editor of the latest "5.0.97-beta.51+6206209ed" look normal, but I cannot insert images from screenshots or local files to the note. I have also tried a previous beta version "5.0.97-beta.46+4cfa23050", images can be inserted from screenshots or local files, but the size is very small.
  • @wuyulele

1) Which operating system are you using?
    2) Can you insert an image by dragging it into a note?
  • @martynas_b
    I'm using Windows 10. Yes, I can drag an image into a note.
  • Yeah, for now you should just drag images into note editor, because file pasting from file system is partially broken on Window and can't be properly supported. On Linux and macOS it was never working at all. In future Zotero versions this should work again.

Though, you can still paste images from web browser.
  • @martynas_b thanks again for your reply and I'm much looking forward to the furture versions of Zotero.
This discussion has been closed.