Cannot move item to different folder through browser

Microsoft Edge
Version 94.0.992.38 (Official build) (64-bit)

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎11/‎24/‎2020
OS build 19043.1237
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Problem:
1) Item "The Hazards of Investing in Bitcoin: The Problem with BIP42" ended up being created in "Cryptocurrency" folder of library.
2) Clicked-and-dragged item to be in "authored theses" sub-folder.
3) Item did not move but instead copied over to "authored theses" sub-folder.
4) Item in "Cryptocurrency" main folder was deleted.
5) Indirectly, somehow, item that was moved (copied?) to "authored theses" sub-folder ended up being deleted, too.
6) Went to "Trash" only to see one item listed and restored item.

I'd just like the item to be moved to the sub-folder. The Zotero browser GUI is not allowing that.

This problem has been around for a while, right?
Like a few years?
I guess dev has not gotten around to fixing it?
  • Note: I'm using the Zotero library through the web browser itself, the Zotero.org website (I'm not using an add-on/extension: This is the link to what I've been seeing for the "Cryptocurrency" folder:

https://www.zotero.org/dennisfrancisblewett/collections/6T6SVZKH/items/PISJCUAQ/note/B8BW66QD/collection
  • When dragging an item and hovering over a collection there should be a "plus" icon appearing next to a dragged item to indicate that a copy will take place.

In Web Library it's currently not possible to move an item with drag-and-drop, this feature is planned but not sure when it will happen yet.

However the source item should not have been moved to the trash. I've tested it and it doesn't seem to happen for me, could you please try these steps again to confirm that this is reproducible?

For any serious work it's probably worth installing Zotero on your machine. It offers much more robust experience, for example it allows moving items (instead of copying) by dragging with a modifier key. We generally recommend using Web Library as a supplementary tool for when you cannot access your main computer etc.
  • "However the source item should not have been moved to the trash. I've tested it and it doesn't seem to happen for me, could you please try these steps again to confirm that this is reproducible?" - tnajdek (October 11th, 2021) @ ~ 12:28 p.m.

I deleted the item from the authored theses folder (and the item was incidentally deleted from the "Cryptocurrency" folder, too. And then I restored the item from trash. And then I just deleted it from the "Cryptocurrency" folder (and the item was incidentally deleted from the "authored theses" folder).

A nuisance. I don't get it.

I really suggest beefing up the web browser library, but I get why there is a huge focus on the add-on/extension (ease of use).

• edited October 11, 2021
    In both Zotero and Web Library item can belong to multiple collections or none at all. Deleting an item means removing it from your library (so it won't appear in "My Library" or any collection), therefore it correctly appears in trash and only there. There is also a separate button to remove item from collection (in Web Library it's a folder icon with a little minus next to it) which does what you wanted to do.

You can read more about how collections work in Zotero here.
    I really suggest beefing up the web browser library, but I get why there is a huge focus on the add-on/extension (ease of use).
    We're improving the Web Library on a regular basis, adding new features, improving performance etc. Most of the current limitations of the Web Library are related to the fact that it needs to operate in a confinement of a browser and only on a subset of data because downloading everything in a library when opening a web page would take too long. That's why we recommend Zotero (desktop app) for day-to-day work.