escaping in extra field?

Hi,

is there a way for escaping an unwanted `key: value` in the extra field?

`Mitautorin: Monika Musterfrau`

following:

is it possible to escape one line with a unwanted key-value and use the key-value on another line?

In the discussions/questions on zotero-github, citeproc-js-github, citation-style-language/schema-github or on the cheater syntax documentation I saw no answers

Workarounds like `. Unwanted Key: Unwanted Value` in the extra field on on line and `pandoc --citeproc` with handling the starting period are ... not portable enough : )

thanks
christoph
  • Escaping in what sense? What is happening that you don't want to happen?
  • thanks @emilianoeheyns ,

In the extra-field, there will be:

* cheater syntax and
    * non-cheater syntax, which can look like cheater syntax

Orignal Date: 1919
    Artist: Lastname || Firstname
    Mitautorin: Monika Musterfrau; Foo: Bar Baz

Orignal Date: 1919
    Artist: Lastname || Firstname

should later on be used in CSL (as `original-date` and `author` for `motion_picture` and `graphic`) ... which works.

Mitautorin: Monika Musterfrau; Foo: Bar Baz

should be seen as text for the `variable="note"`, where the colon is only there by part of the text, not as indicator of a new `key`:`value` pair.

Is there a possibility to escape the cheater syntax in the extra field for a newline, where the colon is only there by chance as part of the sentence?

thanks,
    christoph
  • edited October 10, 2021
    You have misspelled Original Date: 1919, but other than that, if this is intended for export, Better CSL JSON (or Better CSL YAML) will do what you want out of the box.

edit: I see now you are using it with pandoc, that means export, which means BBT should do what you need.
  • thanks @emilianoeheyns ,

sorry for the typo in Original Date. Also Better CSL JSON and Better CSL YAML from BBT (which I'm using) are giving the desired export, although I thought I saw it exporting not with the desired output.

confused but grateful,
    christoph