Trouble with syncing and PDFs

This discussion was created from comments split from: Synchronization not working.
  • Report ID 168107437

Have been having trouble with Zotero since the new update. It is slow in loading my pdfs, takes forever to sync (actually it never stops) and I seem to have lost some of the pdfs on my stand alone zotero as now all my library is syncing (which was not the case before the update). This is really slowing down my ability to do my research.
  • (Please start new threads for new issues. I've moved this to a new thread.)

Could you be more specific about the problems you're experiencing? See Steps to Reproduce. I don't know what you mean by "slow in loading my pdfs" or "lost some of the pdfs" or "all my library is syncing".

Note that it's not really possible to "lose" PDFs in Zotero given how file storage works. If you're saying you can't access some files on one computer, they'd still exist on the computer where they were added. See Files Not Syncing for troubleshooting steps.
  • Hello,
    Apologies for not being clear. My report id is 1792134433. My Debug ID is D98332497

I only use one computer. I added all the pdfs to Zotero and everything was working fine. Now after a sync, I click on an item and it states that it is not at the said location. I have then gone into the storage file and it states : The attached file could not be found at the following path:

C:\Users\ihenriqu\Zotero\storage\4WWT93LB\2011 HBR Porter Creating-Shared-Value.pdf

It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero, or, if the file was added on another computer, it may not yet have been synced to zotero.org.

This applies to many of my files. So bare with me if I am a bit disappointed as this has taken a great deal of time to build up.

Thanks for responding.

All the best,
    Irene
  • I added all the pdfs to Zotero and everything was working fine. Now after a sync, I click on an item and it states that it is not at the said location.
    No, that didn't happen. There's literally no code in Zotero that will delete a file on disk without deleting the attachment item in the library.

So either you actually added it on another computer, in which case it just hasn't been uploaded to the online library, you're using a different Zotero data directory from what you were using previously, or something outside of Zotero deleted the file within Zotero's data directory. For example, if you ran a disk cleanup tool and deleted files, you might have deleted it that way. See Locating Missing Zotero Data and provide the requested info if you need help figuring out which one it is.

The file was also never uploaded to Zotero Storage, likely because you're at your Zotero Storage quota, which is relevant for any of the above: it would prevent another computer from uploading the file, and it would also prevent there from being a copy of the file online that could be downloaded if you switched to a different data directory or accidentally deleted some of your Zotero files outside of Zotero.