Scrolling and highlighting with Apple Pencil

The newest iOS update no longer allows scrolling through a document with your fingers, while highlighting with the Apple Pencil. It reads any interaction as highlighting. Not sure if other people have been experiencing this. I believe previous updates differentiated between the pencil and touch to serve different functions.

Thank you! :)
  • This isn't new — it's always been like this. When in highlight mode, you can do a two-finger scroll outside of the page borders, on the gray background. That's the only way we're able to support this at the moment.
  • +1 on this. It is very counterintuitive and breaks with conventions from other apps. There is a global setting for this in iOS so I think there is some kind of build-in functionality you could use?
  • Sorry for double-posting, but I can now confirm that it does sometimes work as expected:
    In the Zotero app I enable text-highlighting and can still scroll with my fingers and at the same time highlight text with the Apple Pencil. Here is a short video that demonstrates this behaviour:
    https://share.icloud.com/photos/0OQ-a_Tg9sJzRAFRVm3uVQIkA

I was on build 153 where it sometimes doesn't work as expected. I just updated to build 154 and will report if this continues to be the case.
  • edited October 20, 2021
    +1

Worked with previous builds (including 153): with activated highlight mode, highlighting with Apple Pencil and scroll with the finger at the same time.

Newest Build (158) breaks this behaviour. Please fix this!
  • +1 also on 158. I can scroll with two fingers but not with one when using the Apple Pencil to write. This makes it much harder to navigate around the PDF.
  • This has been fixed in build 159. Thanks! :)
  • I still can’t scroll while highlighting with Apple Pencil in build 159.
  • It works for me with one exception:

1. With Apple Pencil, select and use the annotation tool to draw a rectangle
    2. highlighter again
    3. Try to scroll with your fingers --> No scrolling, fingers highlight text instead.

Build 159
  • After using the build some more I can confirm that sometimes I can't scroll with my fingers while highlighting without highlighting text. This can temporarily be fixed by switching back and forth to e.g. the drawing tool.
  • @dstillman are you aware of the ongoing problems with scrolling and highlighting (see my comment above)?
  • @Maurice-schleussinger thanks. This will be fixed in next build.