Open multiple tabs for same PDF

edited September 18, 2021
This discussion was created from comments split from: Suggestions for a new built-in Zotero PDF reader.
  • If I open more than one tab with a document, it would be nice to be able to open different notes in each of them, so that, for instance, each tab would have a separate note.
  • Not sure what you mean here — if you try to open the same PDF currently, it will just focus the existing tab, not open a new tab. Is your request here to be able to open multiple tabs for the same PDF?
  • edited September 21, 2021
    Thanks for creating a new discussion. I'll be creating new discussions for new feature requests.

What I mean here is this:

Suppose,
    1) I am reading Document 1 and I create Note 1, linked with Document 1.
    2) I reading Document 2 and I create Note 2, linked with Document 2.

What I want is to be able to:
    1) Open Tab 1 with Document 1 and to open Note 1 on the side;
    AND
    2) Open Tab 2 with Document 2 and Note 2.

I want to be able to do 1) and 2) at the same time. In other words, I want to be able to quickly check Document 1 and Note 1 AND Document 2 and Note 2.

Does this make sense?
  • You're referring to a standalone note? Because for a PDF-specific note, the standard approach would be to create a child note of the parent item. You can do that right from the Notes pane in the PDF reader, and it will then be listed at the top of that pane for quick opening.
  • I am referring to child notes.

Now, I open Doc 1 and its child Note 1 in Tab 1;
    I open Doc 2 in Tab 2;
    and I see child Note 1 in both tabs.

If I open Doc 1 and its child Note 1 in Tab 1
    and Doc 2 and its child Note 2 in Tab 2,
    Note 2 is what I see in Tab 1 and Tab 2,
    even though I see Doc 1 in Tab 1 and Doc 2 in Tab 2.
  • Ah, OK. Yeah, so while we were designing the PDF reader we tried various approaches for automatically or manually pinning notes to specific tabs, but everything we tried was just too convoluted, and internal testers had a lot of trouble figuring out how the pane worked or what note would appear when they switched between tabs. Something like this might still happen, but for now it's not possible.
  • I see. Thank you very much for your explanation!