Can't delete group

When I try deleting a group (yes, I'm the owner) from the webpage, it says "Server error"
  • Looking into this. Thanks for reporting.
  • It may be fixed now.
  • I tried to delete it again, with no success
  • How about now?
  • As far as I can tell the group you were trying to delete was deleted.
  • YES! When I visited my groups page, it disappeared. Thank you!
  • the delete function for groups seem to be broken again? when I clicked the delete button, it redirected the page to the base group URL (https://www.zotero.org/groups) but the group still exist, even after several refreshes.

I triled the delete operation with both browsers: firefox 3.5.15 and Internet Explorer, so the problem doesn't seem to be browser specific.
  • FYI: It's working now... as of 12/21/2010
  • How do I delete a group?
  • The website is failing to delete groups again. I've tried several times, but I keep getting error messages. (Yes, I'm the owner.)
  • Same here I am trying to delete a group.... I am the owner (2021)
  • Same her, I tried to help a researcher delete a few groups.
  • Ditto, Can't seem to delete the group (September 2021)
  • This function is still failing. Is there a Zotero moderator?
  • This seems to be an intermittent issue when Zotero servers are under high load. We're looking into it further.
  • Thank you. I am having the same issue.
  • having the same issue :( this is annoying
  • Same here - always times out with "Oops! We had a little trouble getting that page for you. Please try again in a minute or two. Our apologies for the inconvenience."
    Could this be because of the size of the group library?
  • I just encountered this same behavior. I tried to delete one of the groups I created, but it does not get deleted.

group name: Test
  • I think I found a workaround. Before deleting the group I went into the online /groups/acct#/library and cleaned out the references (after copying all of them over to my local drive in the zotero desktop app.)
    Once the libraries were (mostly) empty, the web interface to delete them cooperated. Maybe that helps other as well.
  • The workaround does not work for me. I created a duplicate group in error two weeks ago (because of random page reloads caused by the website), which never had any members or any entries at all in the library. I get a server error every time I try to delete it ever since.
  • Update: the group was finally deleted when using Firefox (in a Mac) after having failed on Safari every time. The website sent the delete command on to the Zotero application, which popped up a message asking if I wanted to delete the group (while at the same time saying it 'could not locate it' - a bit odd!). After clicking 'Yes', on the website I again got the 'server error' page, but the group was, finally, deleted. Conclusion: even when this works, it is clunky, and needs fixing.
  • Delete function is not working for me. I keep getting an error. Tried several different browsers, tried deleting all the references from the group first and nothing works.
  • I have the same problem as jcain. I'm the owner of a group and can't delete it. The message is : "Oops! We had a little trouble getting that page for you. Please try again in a minute or two. Our apologies for the inconvenience."
    However, I tried again after two or more minutes but still this message.
  • edited October 12, 2021
    I have the same problem, "Delete Group" does not work. I've tried Safari as well as Firefox.
  • Same problem here. I have tried to delete several groups (using Chrome) and they simply do not disappear.
  • I have the same problem. Like dkotouza above, I created a group in error, it never had other members or resources, but it won't delete. I've tried in both Firefox and Chrome, and I've tried over the last two weeks. Depending on when I try to delete the group, I get a variety of error messages, including an "oops! We couldn't find the page" to a simple "Error" page.