sync problems, error reporting

First, a comment on error reporting: it's less than convenient to require me to post a forum topic just to explain a submitted error. Is there not some way you add a description text field to the error generation dialog (and maybe hook it into Trac)?

Second, on 1372429337, I don't really have a lot of information, except to say that my groups aren't showing up on my (Linux; xubuntu, latest) laptop. Seems to work fine on my Mac desktop, though, and this is the first I've seen this problem. Unfortunate, given I really need this to work tonight.

The one error message I saw (though I don't now) mentioned something about being unable to find a zotero collection.
  • Is there not some way you add a description text field to the error generation dialog (and maybe hook it into Trac)?
    No. There used to be a description field in the error reporting wizard. We removed it, because we don't have time to check every submitted report in the database, communicating with the reporter would either be impossible or extremely inefficient (i.e., via e-mail), and most reports don't contain any Zotero errors and either aren't actual problems or require further information. Your report has no Zotero errors in it.

Did you send in that report after the sync attempt and before restarting Firefox? Are you getting an exclamation mark over the sync icon after syncing?
  • On the reporting; OK.

On the substance, this is totally bizarre. I'm not seeing ATM any obvious error. But I'm also not seeing ANY groups.

Before I submitted, though, I did see something (probably an exclamation mark) over the sync icon.

I have not restarted at all today. Perhaps I'll try that now for the hell of it.
  • Yeah, try restarting Firefox. No need to restart the computer.
  • Right; that's what I meant on the restart. That solved it; groups now show up correctly. Sorry for the noise (though it still seems less than ideal).
  • We'll be moving the sync error exclamation off the sync icon into its own icon, which should make it more noticeable (and you'll probably be able to click on it to pull up the error in a dialog, with the ability to report it).