Word plugin is slow in finding reference in responce to query

I have 11,000+ items in my Library. Because of this or not, when I'm adding a new citation using Word plugin, finding the right article in response to my query is slow and takes 15–20 seconds or sometimes more.

Is there any way to make this faster?

I have found this article and am following the tip. What I'm talking about here is a separate issue. It is not updating the document but finding the article from the library that is slow.
https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/citations_slow
  • Is it slow when inserting in a new document? Could you produce a Debug ID from Zotero?

1. In the Zotero Help menu, go to Debug Output Logging and select Enable.
    2. Perform the citation insertion in a document where the search is slow.
    3. Before doing anything else, return to Zotero Help → Debug Output Logging and click Submit Output, which will disable logging and submit the output to zotero.org. A window should pop up containing a Debug ID. Click “Copy to Clipboard” and paste the Debug ID into this forum thread.
  • This time it took ~8 seconds. A bit better but still slow.

D832729407
  • My tips are:
    1. Add “ before your search term to speed up entry (this will stop it from beginning searching as soon as you type)
    2. I still use the classic citation view, in which you can select a collection or library and just search that (or select). This is good if you have lots of libraries or collections but you are only citing references from some collections (or if you want to sort the collection in a custom way). You can just select Classic view in the dropdown or change the preference under the Cite tab of Preferences if you want to use this exclusively.
  • Oh, thanks. Very helpful tips.

It's actually odd that the new GUI doesn't have that option of selecting a collection!