Sort by anything other than "Title" no longer working in 5.0.97-beta.40

5.0.97-beta.40+952663de7 macOS 10.13.6

E.g., sort by "Creator", "Year" or "Date Added" no longer working

Sort by "Title" works

Also, main "My Library" view no longer shows all the items (says there should be 99663 items, but only a few hundred shown)
  • Could you submit a Report ID?
  • I would if there was one - the Zotero Error Report window does not contain a "numeric Report ID" - it says no errors have been logged.
  • edited August 30, 2021
    You can always provide a Report ID — you just need to submit the report first.

There's an issue in beta.40 [fixed now in 42] where if you select a collection while another is loading at startup, it can show the old contents. We're fixing that for the next version, but is it possible that's what you're seeing? If you switch to another collection and back, do you not see your items?
  • In beta.42 middle pane, clicking on "Creator" sorts by title. Clicking on "title" sorts by creator. Other headings I have in the middle pane (Journal Abbr, Year) do not sort correctly but I do not know what they are sorting on. Attachments and Notes appear to sort correctly. I have restarted Zotero with the same result. The report ID is 1592686308, but no errors are being reported.
  • edited August 30, 2021
    Can you take a couple screenshots that show that, upload them somewhere (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive), and provide a link here?

We're not seeing anything wrong with sorting here.
  • The problem occurs at startup, when My Library is selected by default, so this does not seem to be a problem of stale views of previously selected collections (unless they are persisted between invocations).

I upgraded to .42 and the problem is still there.

Also, when first started, the view doesn't seem to be sorted at all.

The only sort that is working is by Title (ascending and descending).

I wanted to try changing the columns that were displayed to see if that affected things, except that the icon that one previously clicked to control which columns are present seems to be gone (unless I am mis-remembering that it ever existed).

Here are a few screenshots that should be self-explanatory:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m7yzmvaosaxpz46/AACyFmelgjKA9ys6Rkmcqmg1a

Thanks for your help with this ... David
  • Further investigation -- I started Zotero with a new profile and sorting worked as expected. I selected "Enable the Zotero PDF reader and new note editor", restarted Zotero, and the previously described sorting behaviour began again. I then changed the Secondary Sort and the sorting returned to working as expected. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • edited August 31, 2021
    @dclunie: Can you 1) go to your Zotero profile directory and email prefs.js to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread and 2) try changing the secondary sort (by right-clicking on the table heading, which is how you access the column picker now)?
  • Yesterday, I encountered the same problem; my report ID:958904564
  • edited August 31, 2021
    OK, I can reproduce this. We should have a fix soon, but in my testing, if you simply right-click on the tree header once, the sorting fixes itself, at least for that session or until you move columns around.
  • FYI, I reverted to Zotero-5.0.97-beta.38+f27432347 and it started working again and the "column picker" icon came back and also works ... right clicking on the table heading just brings up an item menu with all menu entries greyed out, not a column picker ... presumably you are changing this behavior (why ?)
  • edited August 31, 2021
    @dclunie: The column picker is available by right-clicking on the header in the >38 betas, which introduce completely rewritten collection and item trees (hence some of the beta bugs). If you revert to a previous version, you're not going to see that.

We'll be pushing out a fix for the sorting shortly, but you can fix it temporarily by right-clicking on the header, as I say.

If you're still not seeing all items at startup in the latest beta, can you start a new thread and provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup through display of the incomplete list, using the "Restart with Logging Enabled" option?
  • OK, a couple sorting issues should be fixed in beta 43. Let us know if you're still seeing problems after upgrading to that.
  • Thanks for fixing this! Just came here b/c I had a problem with beta 41 (or so): when sorting for creator, I couldn't "jump" to an item by pressing first letter of creator name. Updated to beta 43 and now works. Thanks!