Forcing display of article titles in subsequent citations (MHRA style)

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere. I haven't found anything by searching.

I'm using MHRA style in LibreOffice.

I quite often need to cite, say, a book and an article by the same author in any one document. After the first citation, all subsequent citations of a book will give the author's name, the short title, and page no. But subsequent references to an article will only give the author's name and a page no. This makes it very ambiguous as to whether I'm referring to the book or the article. Of course, if I cite a second article by the same author, article titles are then displayed and everything is fine.

Is there any way I can force Zotero to use the article title in subsequent citations where there are citations to other works (of different types) are cited? Do I need to amend the style code?

Many thanks for any light you can shed on this.

David
  • I thought MHRA already did that right, I can have a look, but yes, the only way to change that behavior is to modify the style.
  • Hi, thanks.

I looked a little more closely at this. It seems to depend on whether the article record has anything in the 'pages' field. If I take out the article page-range (y'know, where in that journal issue it appears), both book and article subsequent citations are displayed with short titles.

When I put the page range back in, short titles disappear and you can only tell whether it's the book or article being cited because the article has the page range in the citation.

E.g.,
    1. Martin Shaw, ‘The State of Globalization: Towards a Theory of State Transformation’, Review of International Political Economy, 4 (1997), 497–513 (p. 500).
    2. Martin Shaw, <i>Theory of the Global State: Globality as Unfinished Revolution</i> (Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press, 2000), p. 173.
    3. Shaw, pp. 9–10. [book]
    4. Shaw, 497–513 (p. 501). [article]

If I add a citation to a second book by Shaw, the subsequent book citations are fine, but the articles remain ambiguous. If I add a second article (with page range), subsequent references are only distinguishable by page ranges.

I've never edited a style before. Is it pretty straightforward to locate whatever it is that's asking 'is there anything in the "pages" field? If so, don't display short titles' or something?

I'm using MHRA (note and bibliography), if that makes a difference. Thanks again for any advice!
  • You can have a look - but MHRA is a rather complex style, so you may be better of leaving that to me - sounds like a bug in the style, though, yes.
  • this is trickier than I hoped - the style adds the title if the citation is otherwise identical. But it does so in a rather primitive fashion: with the page-range added, technically, two citatons aren't the same anymore, so the title isn't the same.
    Since this disambiguation behavior is coded into CSL and not the MHRA style, I don't currently have a good idea, I'll ask some other people.
  • edited March 8, 2012
    The rules are specified on page 72 of the PDF http://www.mhra.org.uk/Publications/Books/StyleGuide/StyleGuideV2_3.pdf

I can't think of how to improve things with CSL 1.0. Basically we'd need a way to determine if works by the same author have been cited previously (e.g. via another type of "position" conditional).
  • The style gives two different base forms for the citation, depending on whether multiple works by the same author are cited. We don't support that currently. If such an option were introduced into CSL, it would be pretty tricky to handle, and you would probably want to build the style out under a test suite, to be sure the possibilities are all covered. For the present, ignoring numeric fields for ambiguity comparison will do, but some hand editing may be needed to cover their last rule.
  • Are there any updates on this issue? I find the short title is given with some books, but not others, and can't work out why, it's not because of page references I don't think.
  • We'd need some examples then -- both the citation and subsequent citatoin. The above issue is specific to items with a page range specified.