Cannot edit citations. Zotero completely changes references

Hi there,
I am working on a document in which I have already used Zotero to create citations and my reference page. However, after editing the document, I now have some more citations I'd like to add/remove.

In Word, when I go to the end of the sentence that I would like to add a citation by using the "Add/Edit Citation" button under the "Zotero" tab and type in the name(s) of the author(s), I receive a message saying:

"You have modified this citation since Zotero generated it. Do you want to keep your modifications and prevent future updates?
Clicking "Yes" will prevent Zotero from updating this citation if you add additional citations, switch styles, or modify the item to which it refers. Clicking "No" will erase your changes."

The issue that I'm having is that, when I click "Yes", Zotero will update my entire reference list incorrectly. I am not sure why it does this. How can I add citations without having the entire reference list changed?
  • Don't edit the bibliography directly in the document — Zotero needs to be able to update it. Correct metadata in Zotero itself, and customize citations to add page numbers, prefixes/suffixes, etc., instead of editing citations directly.