The child items are always released from their parent items

I am using Zotero 5.0.96.2 for Windows here. I created a child item such as a note and a PDF file attachment under a parent item. When I had checked the child item and then click the page blank, the child item would be released from its parent items to be a separate parent item and run to the top of the page. I had to drag the note and attachment back into the parent item to restore the parent-child relations , which happened often and really bothers me .
Thanks in advance for any help.
  • When I had checked the child item and then click the page blank
    Not sure what you're saying here. Can you rephrase?

But this would happen if you accidentally drag the child item — that's how you move a child out from under its parent.
  • I have the same problem and it is definitely because I am dragging the item, but no matter what I do this still keeps happening. It seems Zotero is very sensitive to mouse movements and clicks. The slightest move can detach a child item from the parent item. I found so many of them at the bottom of my library folder (I have also found them under other parent items) that it took hours to put them back in place. I have since taken the time to add the parent item in the related section of my child items, so it is easier to identify where the child item belongs, but with a large library it can still be very tedious to drag the child item (slowly) back to its correct parent item. This problem also causes a distant, but constant, worry that I will one day lose an annotation or an important note.

It would be very helpful if there was a way to lock a child item to the parent item so that it cannot be moved away from the parent item without acknowledging the move. Also, it would be helpful if there was some way that the child item could be automatically moved back to the related item without scrolling (perhaps by right-clicking the child item and selecting "send to related item" or something).

Thanks for an otherwise excellent software. It's changed my life!
  • The slightest move can detach a child item from the parent item
    That shouldn't be the case, and isn't for me. If you can reproduce it triggering too easily, can you take a screen recording showing that happening, upload it somewhere, and provide a link here?