Error in the reference of my last name

I contact you because there is a reference error in Zotero when you enter the doi of an article that I wrote, , the order in my last name appears changed instead to say: Sabando Rojas, D.S. it appears as:

Rojas, D. S. S., Puigdellívol Aguadé, I., & Torrado Fonseca, M. (2021). Inclusive education and academic performance in Catalan public schools. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 1-18.

Originally the problem was in the journal's database, but later they corrected it in the article published in the journal, but in the bibliographic managers the error continues appearing. THE answer the Journalist Editors have given me is:
"Checking our records, I confirm the correction has been made to the metadata of your article and distributed to our third party partners. Once we have distributed the correct metadata it is the responsibility of the other parties and organisations to correspondingly update their records. I have again re-sent the correct metadata to CrossRef just in case, so any reference programs which draw their data from CrossRef will have the correct metadata"

I would be very grateful if you can correct the problem urgently in metadata of Zotero.

Best Regards
  • Taylor & Francis gives us metadata in two formats: BibTeX and RIS. The BibTeX has your name as "Dorys Soledad Sabando Rojas," with nothing to indicate which part is your first name and which is your last name (common for BibTeX). The RIS has it as "Rojas, Dorys Soledad Sabando," which is just unambiguously wrong.

    Taylor & Francis will have to fix this on their end. If you're in touch with their IT people, please specify that they should fix their RIS. I'll fix our Taylor & Francis translator to prioritize author names from the RIS, but it won't make a difference until they fix their metadata (for real this time).
  • edited July 26, 2021
    @dorys sabando. Please, if you find someone who will listen...

    After you have success with author names ask them to address the language field lie. For the few non-English language journals, if there is an abstract in English, the language metadata is labeled as "en". I understand that this inaccuracy is why the Zotero translator doesn't import language metadata from T&F Group journals. I've been trying to work with the T&F abstracting and indexing support staff for over a year to get the publisher to fix this.

    edit, off topic
    How do I quote/alert someone with a username that contains a space?
  • (This is an English language article, so the language field is really irrelevant here; we'd also not rely on it for name splitting even in Spanish sources when the journal, as it does here, presents data in lastname, firstname format)

    FWIW, while we don't use the data from CrossRef in this case, contrary to the editor's response, the data there is also still incorrect:
    given: "Dorys Soledad Sabando"
    family: "Rojas"
  • edited July 26, 2021
    @adamsmith @AbeJellinek

    There are at least two discrete metadata problems with T&F Group journals. The author name problem and the language problem. (I wasn't suggesting that Zotero was parsing the author name depending upon the language.)

    For at least 6 years I've been corresponding by email and speaking by phone about about the author name problem with people at T&F who work with indexers. The A&I people understand the problem with the author-name metadata but the programmers who parse author names don't. With my online database _at least_ 1/4 of those who search for records use an author-name query. That means that searchers of my database (as well as PubMed, etc.) will not find an article by an author with more than one family name unless it is hyphenated (unless we edit the T&F name to correct it, and we do edit T&F). A&I people want searchers to find their articles that are recorded in indices--that is their job purpose. (I'll ignore for now the long-ago issues with name particles and similar things , St. John and Santa Maria, for example.) The A&I folks say that the programmers report that there is 'no way to know where given names end and the last name begins without a hyphen to connect the names'. Hogwash! I've seen the article submission form and it has separate fields for first and last names -- even the old printed form had multiple name fields.

    Now that ORCID identifiers exist, my system will ignore the author name from T&F in favor of the ORCID-linked name already in my database. I got the idea from NLM folks but they haven't fully implemented the utility. However, not every author has a single ORCID identifier and this requires hand editing when the first encounter with a name from T&F differs from the names registered with ORCID.

    The issue with the translator not importing the language tag (because it might not be accurate) is a Zotero policy decision, as I understand it. @bwiernik am I correct? My conversations with T&F A&I staff indicate that this is a policy decision on T&F's part. T&F uses the language field to specify the language of the abstract and not the language of the article itself. This is intended to change depending upon the physical location of the web visitor (those from an IP range of an English-speaking place get the English-language abstract while others get the original vernacular abstract page) but that doesn't seem to work. I've tested other IPs by visiting with other VPN servers. At any rate, the header metadata declaration is almost always English.

    edit to fix my auto-correct demanding that my typing of A&I be changed to A&E (I guess in favor of the TV cable channel.)
Sign In or Register to comment.