RIS import trouble

Hello all. I've got an EndNote library of about 5,000 sources that I'm attempting to import into Zotero. I've attempted to break the library into much smaller files for import into Zotero, but I've repeatedly encountered that familiar problem with importing RIS exports from EndNote into 2.0b6.4.

I've ensured that the file extension of the import is .ris, and I've set the import encoding to UTF-8, but I still get the "Please ensure that the file is valid and try again" error. Breaking my library into significantly smaller files for import doesn't help.

I'm emailing a copy of the .ris file to support now. Thanks a lot for your help and patience.
  • edited August 5, 2009
    The file itself is valid, but we may know what's causing this for you. Could you provide a Report ID from Report Errors under the gear menu after you get this error? Thanks.
  • Thanks for the response. The report ID# is: 770862582.
  • This should be fixed in the latest dev build. The fix will be available in 2.0b6.5, which should be available within the next few days.
  • Hello,
    I downloaded Zotero this morning (Aug 20) and tried to import references without success. The full set of references was 7452, and when I imported it Firefox crashed. It said the browser has encountered an error and needs to close, and when it opened back up the file was empty. I tried this twice, and then I tried importing a smaller set of 1000 references, and the screen froze, and I gave up. Any thoughts?
  • When you say that Firefox crashed, do you mean Firefox actually quit and displayed an error message? If so, that's pretty much a Firefox bug, but if you send the file you're trying to import to support@zot....org, with a link to this thread, we can take a look. But splitting the file up is a fine workaround.
    I tried importing a smaller set of 1000 references, and the screen froze
    If you mean that the import progress bar and the Firefox UI froze, that's expected behavior for larger imports—you may just need to give it some time. (Zotero 2.0b7, which will be out soon, fixes this.)
  • Hi Dan, Thanks for your reply. Maybe I was impatient with the importing 1000, but I gave it ten or fifteen minutes before I gave up. I'll try again tomorrow when I am fresh:)
  • Where can we download Zotero 2.0b7? I've been trying to it on the developer forum posts but with no luck :(