Error: Selected field WzgA3R not returned from Docs backend

I'm trying to update a Google doc's cite and Zotero returned the following error: Selected field WzgA3R not returned from Docs backend

Also, adding citations are taking a very long time. What do you suggest?
  • edited July 20, 2021
    Can you consistently reproduce the "Select field not returned from Docs backend"? If so, what are the steps after refreshing the google docs tab?

The speed of citation insertion depends on the size of the document. You can disable automatic citation updates in the Zotero document preferences which might help speed it up somewhat, but due to online nature of Google Docs the speed of desktop word processors cannot be matched.
  • Yes, consistently receive the error.

The error is actually: Selected field WzgA3R not returned from Docs backend

What do you suggest?
  • What are the steps to reproduce the error after refreshing the google docs tab? Can you reproduce it in a new doc?
  • I got Some Problem , very frustration
  • had the same problem, so bad if you have a huge document and zotero isnt working anymore ;/.

I found a solution!:
    delete the citation, where it says updating and create a copy of the google docs. then it is working fine in the original document
  • Folks, the Zotero developers can’t fix the issue if you don’t describe detailed steps to reproduce the issue. It’s not helpful to just say “also getting the same error message”. They need to know steps to reproduce that.
  • edited October 22, 2022
    Hi, I actually got the same problem, and the potential solution of creating a copy of the document has not been useful.

I will try to better describe the steps I have encountered to reproduce the issue.

1° I create a reference as usual, and I select a document that is in my library as usual.
    2° Once done, the caption "updating" is still coloured in blue, nothing has changed after loading the citation.
    3° And when I click on it, then I get this error message as mentioned "Selected field iHYtUZ not returned from Docs backend". The name of the field "iHYtUZ" changes every time I delete the whole citation and create it again.

Just to let you know, Zotero was always working fine before, it's the first time I get this problem. Before getting this error, I created the citation by creating a footnote via Word first, but I don't first it's related to this. I sent an error report btw, the number is 1282299322

Thank you in advance and for helping the community.

Valentin
  • edited August 30, 2022
    Hi, everyone, the problem has been solved apparently, thank you :)
  • The problem is back unfortunately, I don't understand why...

Error report number: 1561123578
  • same problem here,

copy paste from ValentinM49

"1° I create a reference as usual, and I select a document that is in my library as usual.
    2° Once done, the mention "updating is still in blue", nothing has changed after loading the citation.
    3° And when I click on it, then I get this error message as mentioned: "Selected field iHYtUZ not returned from Docs backend". The name of the field "iHYtUZ" changes every time I delete the whole citation and create it again."
  • @betsy81: Try disabling all other extensions and reloading Google Docs. If it still doesn't work, you can try using another browser, or you can try switching to Google Docs Integration v2 from the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences (after right-click on the save button and clicking Options).
  • Thank you dstillman, it works now :)
  • What fixed it?
  • I disabled all the other extensions I had. I was also using Grammarly for my Google Doc, I guess that was the culprit.
  • You can re-enable them one by one and reload Google Docs to see if the problem returns.
  • The same mistake happened to me again. It only occurred after changing to the citation style "International Organization". In the footnote it only showed 'updating' and no matter how many more citations I added, all of them would not work and only display 'updating'. Only after I deleted all citations again, I could change to a different citation style, in which everything worked fine again.
  • Note that you can easily revert to earlier versions of Google Docs, so if there's a particular action that causes a massive error/issues, you can always go back to before relatively easily: certainly there should never be a need to remove all citations.
  • Hi,

The problem had been bugging me for a long, and it occasionally occurs with precisely the same steps as what ValentinM49 posted.

I saw the comment by ValentinM49 to disable my Grammarly extensions in Chrome, and the problem was fixed. There's probably some inner collision of these two's programming scripts, as Grammarly will give a red mark to wherever my Zotero footnote number marks are.

Good to give it a go in disabling all the extensions if you find the same issue!
  • Hi,
    I had the same problem, with the same step as the others.

What helped, was to disable the extension of google docs offline, ver. 1.53.0

Once deactivated, everything worked.