Is Universal Decimial Classification still in usage in the EU and the USA?

edited July 16, 2021
Just being curious and don't know where to ask this. Is Universal Decimial Classification still in usage in the EU and the USA? In Russia it is mandatory and should be written above the title of the article, but I've never seen it in non-Russian journals. So, nobody uses it? Or the librarians just find it themselves and don't bother scientists and editors with it? I tried to google it, but found nothing.
  • It would be better to ask in a librarians' forum. As far as I can remember, I have never seen a UDC in any article.
  • edited July 17, 2021
    Over the past 10 to 12 years I've received 2 or 3 requests each year to include/assign UDC to articles and journal-titles in my online literature database. Each time the requests have come from Eastern European nations or from India. Early on, I did ask numerous librarians in person and online to learn if there was a resource that might help automate the process. No one could offer any help. I heard from a librarian in Estonia that most scholarly journals could legitimately be assigned multiple UDC classifications and have been. I lost most of my interest after learning that. (I haven't included NLM or LOC classification descriptors for journals and have never had a request to do so -- even though that has been planned for years.)

Every now and then I consult the Wikipedia article on the topic to see if there are any new aids to help but no change: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Decimal_Classification

Edit: I've had a similar series of requests concerning the MMS ID for journal titles. Now that the National Library of Medicine Locator Plus includes the ID I'll need to give this more thought. I haven't been able to get any of the people requesting the MMS to explain how they would apply this information. Do any Zotero Forum readers have insight into this? Neither OCLC WorldCat nor the LOC includes this ID with their listings.