New laptop - lost data

Hi
My laptop failed suddenly this week so I have had to start again with a new one. When I log back in to www.zotero.org I find that I can see only a small subset of the files I had stored.
I have re-installed zotero on my new machine and synced with the web version and that small set of stuff if now available locally. I can't understand why I can't find the rest, which are going to very difficult and time consuming to reinstate.
Can anyone help?
  • This would happen if you hadn't been syncing on your old laptop, or if you were syncing with a different account. You don't appear to have synced at all previously with the account you're posting from.

If you don't think you have another account, I'm afraid your only option would be to restore from a backup of your Zotero data directory from the old computer.
  • OK, thanks. I suspect you're correct that I've not been syncing the whole time. I won't make that mistake again!
  • edited July 17, 2021
    If you have some old word files you can extract citations from there. At least that helps with a bit of the recovery.
    https://rintze.zelle.me/ref-extractor/