Looking for options for corporate shared Zotero library

I am a scientist at a small R&D company looking to set up a shared literature storage system. I really like the functionality of Zotero on a personal basis and I like the idea of group libraries but there are several things holding us back from rolling this out to the entire department. Suggestions for ways to overcome any of the following would be hugely appreciated

1) ever growing library data size: I've been testing group library options and wouldn't have a problem using other than it seems like eventually it will use a ton of storage on all the machines that are connected since there doesn't seem to be a way to handle attachments. Is there a way to purge downloaded attachments to conserve space without deleting them from the library entirely? (automatic purge every so often would be ideal)

2) Ideally I want everyone to be connected and contributing to a master library. What is the best way to accomplish this? (shared library, singular library directory for multiple users, etc?). I've tried putting the sync directory in One Drive (caused issues, would not recommend) and also tried using group libraries throught he Zotero cloud (works well). We have our own servers and for confidentiality sake we would prefer to store the libraries and data locally (or company cloud) if possible.

Thanks so much!
  • it seems like eventually it will use a ton of storage on all the machines
    You can set Zotero to only download files as needed from the Sync preferences. A coming update will let you configure how long to keep added/downloaded files in each library in order to control disk space usage.
    I've tried putting the sync directory in One Drive (caused issues, would not recommend)
    Right, don't do that.

Groups only support Zotero Storage, which is the only way we can provide a seamless experience for everyone. The Zotero data server is open source, and some institutions have managed to run local copies, but doing so is unsupported and quite complicated, and it's not something we would recommend. We might provide some level of support for doing so in the future.