zotero confuses two authors with the same last name

Hi all, I have a problem. Zotero is considering as the same author, two people with the same last name. E.g. Luis González 1992 and Alberto González 1994. When I cite them, zotero takes them as the same person (González 1992, 1994), instead of making the difference. The same in happening when I insert the reference list at the end. Do you know how to fix this? Thanks.
  • Zotero knows they are different authors. The citation behavior is governed by the citation style. You can e.g. use American Psychological Association style and it will add initials before the last name for the in-text citation.
    Which citation style are you using?
  • Hi, I'm using APA in fact, but I've made some changes to adjust it. Not sure if I've change something related to that aspect.
  • Try with the default APA style. I would guess this is due to your changes.
  • You're right... I have to check what changes I did! Thanks!
  • you want to look at disambiguate-add-givenname and givenname-disambiguation-rule
  • How do you stop Zotero from adding first initials in text of authors with common last names?
  • This depends on the citation style - many citation styles, including APA and Chicago, explicitly require this and so Zotero implements that rule in line with the requirements. Other citation styles will only do so when citations are ambiguous otherwise.