Sending Word documents with Zotero citations and bibliography

Hello,

I've had trouble finding answers to my question, but it's probably been asked before.

My teammate and I are working on 2 sections of the same paper. We both write in Word. We both use Zotero to add citations and create bibliographies.

However, when I receive their Word document (and when they receive mine), the citations and bibliographies become plain text, that aren't linked with Zotero. This makes it impossible to combine our 2 bibliographies.

Is there a way to send Word documents with "living" citations and bibliographies?

Thanks.
  • I assume you do not use "Unlink Citations" option from the Zotero tab in Word before sending. Make sure you are saving the file as .docx. If you are sending it via gmail, make sure you download the file directly from an email instead of the Google Docs viewer as that will flatten the fields.
  • Indeed I don't click "unlink citations". I also save my part as .docx, and download my partner's .docx to open in MS Word.

I wonder if it's something to do with the library? Do we both need to have Zotero open, with a group library that has all of our references?
  • Are you sure the files are not being opened or otherwise tampered with (like by security software) on the way from you to your colleague? What are you using to send the file? If you send and download your own file, does the bibliography also get unlinked?

No need to share a library or similar, Zotero includes all the necessary info in the doc (although sharing a group library is a good idea in case you need to modify item metadata and have it be reflected in the document).
  • I'm using Outlook; I just sent it to myself as a test, everything works (things did not get unlinked), there is no issue... I'll have to ask what my team is doing on their end!
  • Curious if you ended up resolving this issue, as I am having the same problem. Would love a follow-up if you have found the problem or a workaround. Thanks!
  • @koehnky: See Existing Citations Not Detected for the main reasons this happens.