Zotero hangs on Windows 10 after last update

edited June 19, 2021
My zotero stopped working last night after I installed the Zotero updates.
Zotero starts, briefly displays the icon in the windows bar, then disappears and keeps running on the background, but no UI is displayed.
If I start with -jsconsole I can see some warnings on XPI addons (Voyant...), and the console just hangs.

Anything I can do? I have my entire research in Zotero :(

Thank you!
Nelson
  • Not clear what version you're running — the stable release hasn't been updated in a couple months, and the beta in a couple weeks — but you should uninstall Zotero and reinstall it from either the download page or the beta page. Your data won't be affected.

If you're still having trouble, go to your Zotero profile directory and delete the 'extensions' folder to remove your existing extensions. You can install them again later if that fixes the problem.
  • edited June 19, 2021
    Hello,

That fixed the problem...
    The issue seems to be the last addon auto-update to Better BibTex 5.4.25 on 16.06.2021
    Zotero version is 5.0.96.2

Thank you
  • edited June 19, 2021
    Even when I install Better BibTex 5.4.23, Zotero will not be visible.
    Only by removing Better BibTex completely, Zotero becomes functional and visible again
    :(
  • Report that to Better BibTex, the developer is very responsive (though I don't think this is a general issue, otherwise we'd see more posts on this, so he'll want as much detail as possible about your setup):
    https://retorque.re/zotero-better-bibtex/support/
  • I can't replicate this on my windows system. I recall there was something special about having Zotero log to console on windows, anyone here remember what that was?
  • Nothing special. IIRC it causes a much more significant performance hit than on other systems, but that shouldn't be an issue for troubleshooting:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#windows
  • 1) I have installed the Better BibTex addon again (latest version)
    2) Zotero was not starting as usual (running on task manager but no UI or task bar icon)

3) I have executed: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\zotero.exe” -ZoteroDebugText>zotero_debug.txt -console

4) after step 3, Zotero can now start with the Better BibTex addon installed

5) I've checked the zotero_debug.txt file and the only error is: "Error: You have reached your Zotero File Storage quota. Some files were not uploaded...."

Everything seems to work properly now.

Thank you for the hints.
    Nelson.
  • That wasn't supposed to be a fix, but an aid in diagnosis. But you can start Zotero normally now? Can you still get me the file zotero_debug.txt?
  • I have no explanation for why it would work without error. Obviously nothing has changed about BBT.