I experienced an error adding Zotero citations into Word footnote

I can't add citations into the footnote of my Word version 16.33 and Zotero 5.0.81. The citation inserts into the regular text is fine, but when I try to add a citation into a footnote. It pop ups a window 'Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?'

I used to be able to do it on my older versions. I just purchased a new computer and downloaded all the newest versions of software. Any suggestions?
  • This is not a general problem with Zotero. Go into Zotero Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processors and reinstall the Word plugin, then try again. If it does not work submit a Report ID.
  • Report ID: 2088363731

I have a related problem using Word 16.39 for Mac and Zotero 5.0.89: when I go to insert citation into a footnote (using MLA 8 style), I get {Citation} that grays out like it's a field code after using the toolbar to make a citation. It seems to load into the document and then takes me to the bibliography at the end of the document. But when I try to edit this citation (that still is just the placeholder text, not showing the citation name), I get the error message that "You must place the cursor in a Zotero citation to edit it."

If I create a citation in the main text, then copy and paste into a footnote, it works fine. But every time I try to insert a citation into one of my footnotes, whether a new one or existent, the same phantom {Citation} faux field reappears.

Reinstalled the Word plugin, quit both programs and tried again. Double checked that Zotero.dotm is checked in Global Templates and Add-ins. No dice.

When I opened a new document, I was able to insert citations into a footnote, no problem. It just seems to be happening in all my versions of this single document.

2 questions:
    1) Is there a way I can debug a specific Word file to fix this issue since it appears to be generally working elsewhere?
    2) (less important, but curious) Why when I insert a citation into a footnote field does it send me to my document's bibliography instead of staying at the footnote itself, like when I insert a citation into regular document text?
  • I am having the same problem.
  • Ah ha! Following those steps, deleting the bibliography seems to have fixed the problem for me. I then could put citations into footnotes, both new ones and modifying existent ones.

However, when I insert a new bibliography back into the document, the same problem occurs in footnotes, i.e., {Citation} shows up after entering information in the citation dialog, but the entry never gets recognized as a citation. So now I'm just going to work without a bibliography in this document until right before I need to send it on. Thanks for the help.
  • edited August 7, 2020
    "{Citation}" showing up isn't a problem — that's just a placeholder that shows up while the citation dialog is open. Are you actually getting an error? Can you explain the exact steps that you're performing, step by step, to reproduce the problem? Be sure to list every single key/button/etc. you're pressing.
  • A follow-up to say that I was having regular issues like this, with the footnote stuck in {Citation} or {Formatting Citation}. I did not yet have a bibliography at the end. Trying all the troubleshooting steps did not work. Then I noticed that when it reached the {Formatting Citation} stuck point, it flashed "Mendeley formatting citation..." or something like that in the bottom left status bar of Word. So I uninstalled the Mendeley plugin for Word and since then have not had issues with the citations (fingers crossed).

I am on a Mac running Word 16.49 with the latest Mac version of Zotero.
  • I am using MS word 2016 on windows 10 and have the same problem choosing footnote or endnote options appears only with "Chicago / Modern Humanities Research Association" Styles. I think this problem in the coding of the program or the citation style. Hope you can resolve this issue in the newer update.