[Style Request] Chicago - Translated titles of cited works

edited June 3, 2021
Hello -

I find Zotero great for my work – papers in musicology. I still have to do some manual tweaking that, perhaps, may be possible to be automated. Sorry if this has been asked and answered before (searched the forum and came empty).

I use mainly Chicago style, but as I cite a lot of non-English titles (like in Czech, i.e., Latin-based), so I need to provide their English translation in brackets.

This is what Chicago prescribes:

14.99 Translated titles of cited works. If an English translation of a title is needed, it follows the original title and is enclosed in brackets, without italics or quotation marks. It is capitalized sentence-style regardless of the bibliographic style followed. (In running text, parentheses are used instead of brackets; see 11.9.)

1. Henryk Wereszycki, Koniec sojuszu trzech cesarzy [The end of the Three Em­perors’ League] (Warsaw: PWN, 1977); includes a summary in German.
[...]
Pirumova, Natalia Mikhailovna. Zemskoe liberal’noe dvizhenie: Sotsial’nye korni i evoliutsiia do nachala XX veka [The zemstvo liberal movement: Its social roots and evolution to the beginning ofthe twentieth century]. Moscow: Izdatel’stvo “Nauka,” 1977.

(end of quote)

The thing is the italics are needed in the original title, but plain text is used in the translation, which is bracketed. I use mainly "notes" format, so care particularly about the format of bibliography.

I have fed the translated title into the Extra fields in Zotero (under "original-title:", though this is not what it is) and would even consider changing the code in CSL, but I am not sure where and how to change it. :(

Appreciate any help.