"Replace Online Library" encountered error "Online library updated since restore began"

Dear all,

I made a stupid mistake today, accidently removed around 100 items from my library. The delete has been synced to the online library. Luckily I managed to find a backup sqlite file from one of my computers and could see a backed-up version of my library.

The 100 items are located in different collections (I can locate them by sorting the items in year), so it would be frustrated to follow the first instruction as "If you're trying to restore a small number of deleted items or notes, you can simply duplicate the items — by right-clicking and choosing “Duplicate Item(s)” — so that the new copies remain even after syncing."

So I decided to follow this one "If many items were affected or collections were deleted, you can use Replace Online Library to force Zotero to upload the local version of the library, overwriting previously synced changes." However, I encounter the error "Online library updated since restore began".

I have reported the error with an ID 931026888. The error info is posted as follows:

[JavaScript Error: "NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE: Component returned failure code: 0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE) [nsIChannel.contentType]" {file: "jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero/omni.ja!/components/FeedProcessor.js" line: 1274}]

[JavaScript Error: "NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED: Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsISAXXMLReader.onStopRequest]" {file: "jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero/omni.ja!/components/FeedProcessor.js" line: 1280}]

[JavaScript Error: "WebSocket connection closed: 1006 "]

[JavaScript Error: "Online library updated since restore began" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncEngine.js" line: 1875}]

[JavaScript Error: "Online library updated since restore began" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync/syncEngine.js" line: 1875}]

version => 5.0.96.2, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.96.2, extensions => ZotFile (5.0.16, extension), ZoteroQuickLook (1.4.2, extension), Zotero Scihub (0.0.7, extension), Markdown Here (2.13.4, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.25.SA.5.0.96.2, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (5.0.19.SA.5.0.96.2, extension), ZotCard (1.1.5, extension), Zutilo Utility for Zotero (3.9.0, extension), Better BibTex for Zotero (5.4.23, extension), Zotero Scholar Citations (2.0.4, extension, disabled)

I have around 3000 items in my library and the sqlite file is around 260MB. Not sure if it is related to the error.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Cheers,
Huanran
  • Not sure the real reason, but I manage to replace the online library with the beta version.

Posted in case anyone else encounter the same problem.

Huanran
  • That would generally just mean that another device of yours synced at the same time. Shouldn't be any difference between stable and beta there.