Writing freestyle within a in-text reference

Hi,

I would like to be able to write freestyle within my in-text references, such as: (see Archer 2010 and Donati 2015 for more on the topic) or (e.g. Archer 2010 and Donati 2015) and still have them being automatically updated.

As it is now, when using the prefix and suffix function, it always includes a semi-colon between sources, like this:
(see Archer 2010; and Donati 2015 for more on the topic) or (e.g. Archer 2010; and Donati 2015). Is there a way to get rid of the semi-colon in these cases, without changing how it behaves when I normally would cite several sources: (Archer 2010; Donati 2015)?

I'm using the American Sociological association (ASA) 6th Edition as my citation style, but I can easily change to another Harvard-style style if that would help.

(Apologies if this has been raised before, but I couldn't find anything in my searches, perhaps I'm not using the right terminology or search words?)
  • (Not a complete answer, but if you use a comma as a suffix or prefix between the two items, it should replace the semi-colon.)
  • djross3: That is a neat trick! I wish that could work when inserting a space as well (just tried, didn't work).
  • No way to completely remove the semicolon without other punctuation that replaces it, no, sorry.
  • It sounds like I should instead change my way of writing:
    "For more information on this topic, see Archer (2010) and Donati (2015)."
    "...new approach to the same idea, e.g. Archer (2010) and Donati (2015)."

Thank you all!