iOS (and iPadOS) Beta: Unable to add author

When saving a citation for a webpage, I am currently unable to add author information to it.
  • Hi @fml, can you explain a bit more? Does it not work for you when you open the saved item in the app and try to add author there? Or did you mean directly when you're saving the webpage in Safari?
  • Sure. It is after saving the webpage and trying to add the author in the Zotero app.
  • @fml can you please start debug logging, then add new webpage, try to add the author, wait for about 10 seconds, stop logging and send me the Debug ID? Thanks!
  • Yes, here it is: D889582137.
  • @fml: I'm still not clear on what you're trying to do here. Could you explain the exact steps to reproduce the problem, what you expect to happen, and what's actually happening? This is the kind of description we need:

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#provide_steps_to_reproduce
  • fml
    edited May 31, 2021
    Ok, here goes.

1. Open a news item in Apple News or directly on a website, for example, Inside Higher Ed (https://www.insidehighered.com/).
    2. Click on the Share icon.
    3. Select the Zotero app.
    4. Save.
    5. Open Zotero app.
    6. Find the entry you just added, in the All Items view (I just use keyword search).
    7. Tap on the i (information) icon.
    8. Tap Edit.
    9. Tap Add Creator.
    10. Try typing in the provided field on the iPhone and you cannot. You can’t get the keyboard to display for entry at all. It doesn’t matter if you use two fields (Last Name, First Name) or one.
    11. Try the exact same steps on an iPad, and you are able to do everything you need.

I hope that is helpful but if not, let me know.
  • I suspect you're just not tapping in the right place. Tap directly under where the creator type (e.g., "Author") appears in the field above and directly across from the Name label.

The layout is currently wrong in the iPhone version, which makes this more confusing, but the field is still editable. (We've focused primarily on the iPad version so far in the beta, so some things aren't yet correct on the iPhone.)

Note that the saving part is irrelevant. You can test this just by creating a new item in the app.
  • fml
    edited May 31, 2021
    Sure enough, you are right. Sorry for all that wasted effort but thank you for explaining. Embarrassing. The mobile app is a godsend, making a big difference in my work. Thank you.
  • No problem — this is definitely a bug in the layout. You shouldn't have to guess where in a giant expanse of white is the magic place to tap. We'll fix.