Error "An error has occurred. Please restart Zotero." does not resolve upon restart

Report ID: 937850318

I was trying to export a bibliography in Zotero from a new Group Library, while BetterBibTex was still initializing (BetterBibTex initialization took longer than normal and never seemed to finish). Zotero got stuck, showing the export bibliography and BetterBibTex progress bars at the same time. After restarting, my libraries won't load, and I get the message

"An error has occurred. Please restart Zotero."

each time I restart Zotero. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • The problem seems to have been solved by updating Zotero.
  • I am having the same issue but updating Zotero did not work. :(
  • Possibly related issue, Report ID 278892575
    It seems to relate to 'citekeys'.
  • i am getting the same error, after my mac updated to 10.15.7 last night. using betterbibtex, error lated to citekeys. report id 1012137654. here is full error log

[JavaScript Error: "Invalid field 'citekey" for base field" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/itemFields.js" line: 280}]

[JavaScript Error: "Invalid field 'citekey" for base field" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/itemFields.js" line: 280}]
    getFieldIDFromTypeAndBase@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/itemFields.js:280:13
    Zotero.Item.prototype.getField@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/item.js:246:19
    getField@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js:1538:16
    fieldCompare@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js:1561:48
    rowSort@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js:1584:17
    Zotero.ItemTreeView.prototype.sort/<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js:1669:14
    Zotero.ItemTreeView.prototype.sort@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js:1665:5
    Zotero.ItemTreeView.prototype.refresh<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js:422:5
    tryCatcher@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/util.js:16:16
    module.exports/PromiseSpawn.prototype._promiseFulfilled@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/generators.js:97:18
    module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromise@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/promise.js:609:17
    module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromise0@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/promise.js:649:5
    module.exports/Promise.prototype._settlePromises@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/promise.js:729:13
    _drainQueueStep@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:93:9
    _drainQueue@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:86:9
    Async.prototype._drainQueues@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:102:5
    Async/this.drainQueues@resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/async.js:15:9

[JavaScript Error: "An error has occurred. Please restart Zotero.

You can report this error by selecting "Report Errors…" from the Help menu."]

[JavaScript Error: "this.crash@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js:1241:21
    ZoteroPane 5.0.96.2, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.15, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.96.2, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.25.SA.5.0.96.2, extension), Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.36.SA.5.0.96.2, extension), Better BibTex for Zotero (5.4.16, extension)
  • I am also on MacOS 10.15.7
  • (I am solving it that is)
  • A automatic downgrade to 5.4.14 will be up in ten minutes or so. You can get ahead of the game by grabbing 5.4.14 manually and installing that.
  • The automatic downgrade is now in place.
  • I'm still getting this error.Report ID 786053593, [JavaScript Error: "Invalid field 'citekey" for base field" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/itemFields.js" line: 280}].

Should I just wait for the update/fix .. ?

• If you want the downgrade as fast as possible you have to go into the addins overview and have it search for updates. The problem has been identified and a new version will be out today.
  • edited May 26, 2021
    BBT 5.4.19 is out that addresses this problem. Apologies for the disruption.