Citation in LibreOffice only appears as "{Citation}"

Hi there,

I currently use Zotero Standalone 5.0.96.2 and LibreOffice 6.3.4.2 on a macOS Catalina and experience the following problem: when I try to add a new citation in LibreOffice by clicking on "Add/Edit Citation" in the toolbar, the window pops up and I can select the work to be cited. However, the citation only appears as "{Citation}" and gets stuck there.
I hope you understand what I mean. If not, I can offer to explain it in German.

Please help, I really need to go on with my work and cannot afford to loose more time with this.

Best regards
Sofia
  • Does this happen in a completely new document or only your current one?
  • edited May 25, 2021
    hello and sorry for the late reply, i just saw the notification email in my spamfolder.

Answering to your question: it only happens in an existing document (it is a long monograph with plenty of citations).
  • How long have you let it run? {Citation} is the placeholder Zotero uses while waiting for updates from the document/Zotero.
    @adomasven has mentioned that Mac is more aggressively putting applications into inactive mode (which slows things down significantly), which I know affects Word integration, but might also affect LibreOffice?
  • I practically never close the file, for it takes some time to load. I can try closing it after working on it, for a start.
  • (the same goes for Zotero)
  • do you have any other suggestions?
  • I meant how long you have waited for something to happen after inserting a citation, without doing anything else in the document?
  • Ah ok. A few minutes maybe.
  • I am testing it again now to see if something happens and will let you know.
  • edited May 25, 2021
    Ok, it took some minutes and the citation finally appeared. A second quotation that I entered appeared much quicker.
  • Hi again,
    I am experiencing the same problem as initially described again. Do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Sofia
  • Same as above — how long are you waiting?

To reiterate, "{Citation}" appearing is totally normal — that's the placeholder while the citation dialog is open and the plugin is processing.

Make sure that the citation dialog isn't just behind your other Zotero windows. If it's not, restart Zotero and LibreOffice and try again. If you're still having trouble, we'd want to see a Debug ID from Zotero for inserting a citation and waiting a few minutes for something to happen.
  • Thank you.
    I get that "{Citation}" appearing is normal, however after I selected the work in the citation dialog I waited for several minutes and nothing else happened.

I now restarted both Zotero and Libre Office and deleted the whole footnote where I had tried to insert the citation before. After creating a completely new footnote I was able to insert a citation (it changed from the placeholder to the "normal" text in less than a minute).

For now, it should be working. In case it happens again I will send you a Debug ID.
  • Hello again,

I am experiencing the same (old) problem and will subsequently try to send you a Debug ID.

• Noch eine Frage vorab (hoffe, auf Deutsch ist auch ok): Würde es vielleicht helfen, ein Zotero-Update zu installieren? Ich habe lange keines mehr installiert, da ich bei einem Update in der Vergangenheit einmal alle meine Zitationen verloren hatte (in einem 300-seitigen Dokument)...Ich arbeite immer noch mit Zotero Standalone 5.0.96.2 und LibreOffice 6.3.4.2 auf macOS Catalina.
  • p.s. ich habe versucht die Aktion für die Debug-ID zu wiederholen, aber bei aktiviertem Logging öffnete sich nicht einmal mehr das Fenster mit dem Zitations-Dialog (was zuvor noch ging). Ich habe den Prozess trotzdem gesendet, vllt. könnt ihr ja etwas damit anfangen.
  • You should update Zotero. Zotero updates definitely never cause you to loose citations or any other data. Whatever caused that just coincided with you updating Zotero. Either way, restart your computer and try again. If you submit a Debug ID, you need to post the Debug ID number here.