iOS App Highlighting tool bugginess and suggestions.

edited May 10, 2021
First off thank you so much for developing this app. I am happy to be able to test the beta version and it has already been incredibly helpful for getting work done.

I am a user who frequently highlights text and I have been using the PDF Expert app for years to do this. I would like to report a bug and also make some suggestions based on the ease of that app’s user experience. Here is a list:

(1) Bug: In some files when selecting text and tapping it to invoke the pop-up menu, the pop-up menu is missing the option to highlight. I can send a screenshot of this if necessary.

(2) It should be possible to highlight by selecting text then tapping the highlight tool icon.

(3) It takes many taps (four) through many pop-ups to delete a single highlight. To delete a highlight could be possible in two taps.

(4) Consider having the note associated with a highlight not open by default. Instead, tapping a highlight can give the user the option to open its note.

Hope that helps. Looking forward to future releases and seeing how everything shapes up.
  • edited May 12, 2021
    (1) Bug: In some files when selecting text and tapping it to invoke the pop-up menu, the pop-up menu is missing the option to highlight. I can send a screenshot of this if necessary.
    You can take a screenshot, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive), and provide a link here.
    (2) It should be possible to highlight by selecting text then tapping the highlight tool icon.
    I think this is some sort of misunderstanding. You can highlight text in two ways: by selecting text and creating a highlight from the popup or by turning on highlight mode in the toolbar and creating highlights simply by selecting. (The latter works best with an Apple Pencil for accuracy.) You don't use the toolbar highlight button if you've already selected text — that's what the popup is for.
    (4) Consider having the note associated with a highlight not open by default. Instead, tapping a highlight can give the user the option to open its note.
    We're not going to make it take longer to view annotation comments.
  • Regarding no. 3, that is something I also noticed right in the first few minutes of trying the iOS app, and reported it at the time along some other minor things: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/88305/zotero-for-ipad-first-impressions

I don't know if this is something you will consider. Although minor, it would make it more convenient to work with highlights