Cannot add citations in Google Docs

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero not working in Google Docs.
  • I still cannot add citations too. I'm trying to add citations to a google doc.
    I use chrome and I have 5.0.85 extension.
    Anytime I try to add a citation I get a message saying
    "Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
    Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?"
    What can I do ?

• Can you provide a Report ID from Zotero after this occurs?
  • the ID is : 2064013015
  • Ranges corrupt on Z_FjaGyDl000
    See Troubleshooting Errors in Word Processor Documents.

(You should make a copy of the original document, since @adomasven may have further questions for figuring out how this happened.)
  • I dont get an error trying to use Zotero in a new, empty document
    I using the latest versions of Zotero and extension
    When I make a copy of my document — by duplicating the file itself, not by copying and pasting the content — the problem is still.
    I don't know what to do
  • You'll need to follow the steps on the linked page through to the end. It explains exactly how to debug a problem like this.
  • 1. Make sure you're using the latest versions of Zotero and your word processor.
    --> I using the latest versions of Zotero and extension

2. While troubleshooting, disable the Track Changes feature in Word/LibreOffice, as it can have complicated effects when working with Zotero. If Track Changes is enabled when you insert or modify a Zotero citation, it may mark many or all of the Zotero citations in your document as changed or cause field codes to be displayed. On rare occasions, Track Changes may cause Zotero to think a citation is corrupted. If you had Track Changes enabled previously, try accepting all changes to see if that resolves the issue.
    --> i don't work with Word/LibreOffice, I work with google doc

3. Check for citations in image captions. Zotero won't let you insert them, but if you copied a citation to a caption that's most likely the source of the problem. Delete it.
    --> i don't have image captions (so I don't have citations in image captions)

4. Try copying and pasting the document content into a new document (or using File → “Make a copy” in Google Docs) to see if the problem goes away. You may need to click the “Set Document Preferences” button before your old citations will be recognized.
    --> When I make a copy of my document — by duplicating the file itself, not by copying and pasting the content — the problem is still.

5. Make a copy of your document — by duplicating the file itself, not by copying and pasting the content — to use for debugging.
    --> When I make a copy of my document — by duplicating the file itself, not by copying and pasting the content — the problem is still.

6. If using OneDrive on Windows, save the copy of the document to your local hard drive, or try renaming the file to remove any spaces in the filename. OneDrive is known to interfere with the plugin for some people. If this fixes the problem for you, you can help us debug this conflict by posting to the Zotero Forums.
    --> I don't use one drive on windows

7. Open the copied file and check if you get the error after switching to a different bibliography style.
    --> The problem is still on this copied file

8. If the document has a bibliography, delete it and check if you still get the error.
    --> The problem is still
  • 9. While debugging, if you are using Fields mode in Word or Reference Marks mode in LibreOffice, it may help to display field codes rather than formatted text. To do this, press Alt/Option-F9 (or Alt/Option-Fn-F9) in Word or Ctrl-F9 in LibreOffice.
    --> i am not with libre office, I work with google doc
  • It's Step 10 that you need to follow.
  • I isolated the problematic quotes. (15 quotes!) I deleted these quotes. I reinserted a quote with no problem.
    But after a few quotes reinserted the problem came back and does not go away even if I delete them again
  • If you delete them and the problem doesn't go away, the problem isn't those citations.

See the bottom of the page, which explains how to provide a document excerpt that demonstrates the problem so we can investigate further.
  • @evafillion Are you using any other Google Docs extensions besides Zotero?
  • I only use zotero
  • If you can reproduce this problem consistently in some portion of the document please share it with support@zotero.org and we'll see what we can do.
  • I always cannot add citations
    Zotero message is : 429: Google Docs request failed.

{
    "error": {
    "code": 429,
    "message": "Resource has been exhausted (e.g. check quota).",
    "status": "RESOURCE_EXHAUSTED"
    }
    }
  • Is this a new error now? What did you do leading up to it? It should resolve itself automatically if you give it time, but we don't really see this unless there's an issue with Google Docs or it could happen in some extreme circumstances only.
  • This is a new error message, but sometimes the old message is displayed ("Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?") I think I will give up zotero and look for new bibliography software for my thesis. I'm wasting too much time with these error messages.
    Thank you for your help
  • How many citations are in your document? Do you have "Automatically update citations" disabled in the plugin's document preferences. If not, that would be the first step.

To be clear, 429 is an error from Google Docs meaning "Too Many Requests" — it should only happen in a very large document, if Zotero has to process a huge number of citations and Google decides to temporarily block you.

If you're working in a very large document, and you're having problems with "Automatically update citations" disabled, I would recommend moving your document to Word or LibreOffice. You could also split your Google Doc into multiple documents (using File → "Make a copy" and deleting parts, not by copy/paste) and then plan to combine later, possibly in Word or LibreOffice. Google Docs is, by its nature, less suited to very large documents containing many citations, so using a local tool, at least for the final combined document, can make more sense.