Word Keyboard Commands - Zotero Macros

Hello, all -

In Microsoft Word (latest version, Mac) there are multiple Zotero Macros listed as assignable to keyboard shortcuts (under Tools: Customize Keyboard). A couple of questions:

- ZoteroAddEditCitation and ZoteroInsertCitation seem to both do the same thing as the Add/Edit Citation button in the Zotero tab of Word's toolbar. Are these redundant, or am I missing something?

- ZoteroEdit Citation: This does not appear in the Word toolbar as a button, so I had long ago assigned it to a keyboard shortcut (Control-Option-C). Until recently, this worked: One would place cursor inside the citation, hit the shortcut, and Zotero would open the citation editor. However, for some time now, this fails, and returns the dreaded "You must place the cursor in a Zotero citation to edit it" error. Not sure why that stopped working (doesn't work even in new blank document with a few test citation). However, I realized that one can simply use the same ZoteroAddEditCitation command (as key command or button) above to edit an existing citation.

So it looks like one really only needs the single command ZoteroAddEditCitation (or the equivalent Word toolbar button, and the other 2 commands (ZoteroInsertCitation and ZoteroEditCitation) are no longer needed or relevant. Is this correct?

Thank you for any clarification.

P.S. I am using the latest Zotero beta.
  • So it looks like one really only needs the single command ZoteroAddEditCitation (or the equivalent Word toolbar button, and the other 2 commands (ZoteroInsertCitation and ZoteroEditCitation) are no longer needed or relevant. Is this correct?
    That's right. They used to be separate function in the toolbar, now there's only the single button and you only need the corresponding macro. (The macros might be used internally or they're just left for legacy reasons, not sure)
  • @adamsmith Thank you for clarification. I thought I was going mad (which might still be true; false dichotomy there).

It's actually nicer with the new method, as one only needs the single keyboard shortcut both for adding and editing citations (I have it assigned to Control-C for easy access).

It might be helpful to others to add that info in the docs, if the devs have time and inclination, as perhaps others might have similar questions:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_shortcuts