Cite Them Right 11th Edition - Harvard

Hi all,

new to Zotero. My institution uses the 11th edition of this book but there is only a style for the 10th edition in Harvard. Is there much difference between the two?

Thanks in advance!
Colm
  • They're definitely very similar; we're happy to update it, but it's hard to keep up with the rapid update cycle of the book.
  • Thanks for the quick reply, that would be great if it could be updated. Not sure how the process works, let me know if you need anything from me. Thanks! Colm
  • Adamsmith, would it make sense for oconnorco to provide a list of difference to make a new version?
  • If we can get a list of changes between the 10th and 11th edition, that'd be great.

(I'm also happy to buy you (or anyone else who'd work on it) a copy of the book from the CSL account, though I gnash my teeth at throwing money at their ridiculous publication practices)
  • Thanks guys. I have access to the book - would the acknowledgements page generally list all changes? There are some very minor changes listed which I could send on if needed?
  • I am just wondering if the cite them right Harvard 11th Edition style was being added to the available styles within Zotero?

This is the style I am expected to use by my university and could lose marks if I use another style or older style instead.

Due to being a disabled student, Zotero was recommended to me by DSA to ensure smoother studying and completion of assignments. With this in mind, Zotero is a huge help to me and hence very important that it has the style I am expected to use.

By the way, thank you for all the work put into Zotero already and all future efforts, I very much appreciate it. :)
  • Hey,

As was mentioned above we'd need a list with the changes from v.10 to 11.
    I assume it's minimal changes, so it wouldn't take long for me to make such a style. But I'd need to have a list of changes.
  • Is there anywhere such changes are listed or how would people generally discover what these changes are? Thanks!
    Colm
  • edited April 29, 2021
    You look at the current, 10th edition style, and compare it to the new guidelines.
    Sometimes, like APA, the introduction also points out the main changes.
  • Hello,

is there any update on this? My tutor is saying we need to use the 11th edition of the style. Oz.
  • edited May 26, 2021
    Without the required changes as requested above I cannot make the style, so, no, there is no update.
  • Hi all,

the changes to Harvard as (listed in the foreword to the 11th edition) are:

New examples of Harvard referencing for citing body art, book cover blurb, case analyses, cinemagraphs, circuses, collages, GIS maps and datasets, House of Commons Library reports, intranet documents, letters to the editor, LIDAR, musicals, NICE guidelines, paragraphs in web pages, Periscope, product reviews, screenshots, sewing and knitting patterns, silhouettes, streaming services, systematic reviews, Snapchat, WhatsApp, and working papers.

We are treating all published reports, including those in databases (E8), as publications, so they will have titles in italics.

We only use italics for the titles of publications, not for the names of corporate bodies (such as BBC and Amazon) nor for social media platforms (such as Facebook and Snapchat).

We have changed the format of additional contributors to sources (including translators, choreographers and directors) to initial, surname, to read more clearly in the references.

Hope that helps.
    Colm
  • I just wanted to find out if there was any update on this style being added and whether all the changes you needed were provided? It looks like not very much has been said about this on this forum thread for a little while.
  • Hey,

there hasn't been any update as far as I know unfortunately. It's a pity as most Universities are now requiring that the 11th edition be used.

• I have already messaged with one of the people within the forum. The last information posted was generic and didn't provide the changes they needed to make.

In fairness, these people are only human and can only add a citation if they know what they are adding.

At current, I am going through the process of sorting information from the cite them right website and have also emailed the help email this morning to ask for a list of the specific changes between the 10th and 11 editions.

The people here seem nice enough and willing to help but you have to be reasonable and make an effort to help them help us.
  • Absolutely, I completely understand. I am new to the forum so that's why I said 'Not sure how the process works, let me know if you need anything from me' in a previous post. But I really appreciate the amazing work that people here put into Zotero - I don't want to be negative in any way :-)
  • That makes sense. Have you got access to the cite them right website through your university?

If so some help in getting screenshots of the latest guidance into a document would be great.

I have got as far as finishing the Journals section but I am actually trying to complete final module assignments and end of module assignments too so it would be helpful if you had a small amount of time to put into helping with this.

The quicker we can get the information together the quicker they can help us :)
  • Hey, I'd love to help if I can. I have access to the text book yep so could send screenshots and anything else no problem.

Cheers
    Colm
  • that would be great, I'll private message you with my email address and further details. hopefully, this team effort will help with the details needed.
  • Have you actually generated output with the 10th edition style? Given the description above, I wouldn't really expect there to be any relevant changes for any standard reference types. If you cite unusual materials (like TV shows or social media posts) you'd want to double-check those anyway, I don't know that we have the style programmed to that level of detail.
  • No, I haven't done that. Being Autistic and possibly dyslexic I would struggle to pick out where differences were, particularly as I am new to referencing as well.

My uni tutor told me that 11th edition is very similar to OU Harvard but that's just as brief as the previous information available.

As I have mentioned I have emailed the help email requesting the changes between the editions as there's a section where changes are supposed to be on the bottom of the page but the last change shown there was in 2019 for a different referencing format.

It's difficult because short of sending a document with current examples for the 11th edition I don't know what else to do but having said this due to my disabilities and being recommended Zotero by DSA I need to do what I can to get the 11th edition added as will likely need it more in October when my new modules start.

• edited September 1, 2021
    Hi gang,

The style has already been reviewed and the minor changes (see here) implemented.
    You can now get the new style here:
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:harvard-cite-them-right

The versions of edition 10 are also still available if need be:
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:harvard-cite-them-right-10th-edition
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:harvard-cite-them-right-no-et-al

Big shout out to km26736 who actually DID something about this request and sent me the screen prints from the guidelines.

• Really I am just thankful to you damnation for all your effort and the time put in to add the style to the library, it will make such a huge difference to my studying so I am eternally grateful for this.

Thank you again :) all your hardwork is much appreciated
  • Thank you for creating this - it's very much appreciated. Would it be possible to have a (no "et al.") version as well i.e. exactly the same but including all authors?
  • yes, working on the no et al version now