How to update Zotero the right way?

edited April 19, 2021
Dear fellow users of Zotero,

After installing Zotero 5.096.1 with your tarball on Mint 20.1, how do I update Zotero?

Every time I try to update Zotero (Zotero > Help > Check for Updates) I get an error message: "... you do not have the right permission to install it." What do I have to do, so that Zotero can update itself?

Just asking here to learn...
  • For a global install on linux, you'd really want to use the deb package (which will then auto-update via aptitude)
    Alternatively, unpack the tarball into a directory under home (e.g. ~/.local/bin) and run Zotero from there.
  • edited April 19, 2021
    Thanks for your quick reply, @adamsmith

So, the tarball does not include a standardized way to update itself? Not complaining, just wondering.

Then, is there a way to change the settings, so that Zotero stops looking for an update? I have not found it yet in Edit > Preference...

Again, just asking here to learn...
  • No, the tarball does have built-in update. Like any linux program, Zotero can't write to places the current user can't write to, but that's just a function of where you unpacked it.

Beyond that, I don't understand -- I suggest two options for you to have Zotero update: one involving the tarball, the other the deb. Why would you want to disable updates?
  • edited April 20, 2021
    Thanks again for your reply.

TL;DR: Because an auto update it out of the question (for now), I would like to deselect the option to look for an update, because I prefer to look it up by myself. As in, to get that reminder each time I use Zotero, becomes annoying.

When I installed Zotero, I decided to follow the logic of other apps, and installed it where Element, Signal and Vivaldi have their files stored/installed: /opt/[app]. Although other apps can do an auto-update, Zotero can not do it. Thus I will update myself, when I have the time for it. Because it is for me not necessary to have an up to date Zotero (as in, it is not essential to have an up to date Zotero), I can also look it up by myself. Thus I prefer to have not that kind reminder each time that I use Zotero.

Indeed, I can use the .deb edition of Zotero instead, but for now I have used tarball to learn to install a tarball. Maybe I do switch from tarball to .deb in the (near) future, but for now I am settled with the tarball.
  • You can toggle the relevant app.update preferences in the hidden preferences (config editor in the advanced tab of the preferences) to false. I believe that's app.update.auto and app.update.enabled

Working without auto updates terrible idea, though, and you'll waste yours and other people's time.
  • edited April 20, 2021
    Thanks again for this quick reply.

In case I got stuck somewhere with Zotero 5.0.96.1, I will update it before I ask something.
  • The debs have auto update locked to disabled.
  • edited December 17, 2021
    Hi @86ul
    I did a centralised install in a location in my path in Linux, that can be /var/opt, or /usr/local/bin or whatever,
    let's say I use:
    /usr/local/bin/zotero

after installation I just changed the owner to one that I will use for Zotero updates (example: "myself", or any trusted user)

#sudo chown -R myself:root /usr/local/bin/zotero

then open zotero with the user "myself"

*go to > Help > Check for updates*

Check and install
    if I want to increase security, I can reverse that command with

#sudo chown -R root:root /usr/local/bin/zotero

- finished.
  • edited December 19, 2021
    A work around, nice @triple5 . I will give it a try next time I do a clean install.