PDF reader

Since the main thread was closed, a quick post on pdf reader, which I gave a try today:

1) please add an option/button to quickly "Create bibliography from the item" somewhere on the tab where the pdf file is open AND/OR button to directly move to the pdf file or parent item in my library.

Suppose I have many pdf files open, and I read a pdf file in Zotero. Now I find an interesting text or quote and want to also to include the reference of it into my document where I write the article or whatever text. At the moment, I need to go back to Zotero main window, start looking it manually (or by searching the title of the pdf file), which may take a while.

PS! this is not a hypothetical situation, when working with my text today, many time I wished this kind of option would be there.

2) also, please also add in the pdf tab, the title of the author and the year of the pdf file, not only the title as it is at the moment.

Perhaps it was already mentioned there in the closed thread, did not have time to go it through.
  • please add an option/button to quickly "Create bibliography from the item" somewhere on the tab where the pdf file is open
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/88746/beta-pdf-reader-copy-reference-and-navigation
    button to directly move to the pdf file or parent item in my library
    This is planned.
    please also add in the pdf tab, the title of the author and the year of the pdf file, not only the title as it is at the moment
    We'll try to do something for this.
  • edited April 11, 2021
    Great, thanks!

Few more:

3) double-click to close the tab (like in Firefox). So used to it and now automatically doing this also there.

4) "back" button when the pdf is open and when I click for example on the reference within the text - this takes me at the list of references, but to continue reading, I have to find manually my way back to where I was in the document.
  • 4) has been raised a couple of times and I believe is planned, at a minimum via keyboard shortcut (alt + backwards arrow as e.g. in Acrobat)
  • edited April 11, 2021
    (4) is already implemented for in-PDF links:

Cmd-[ / Cmd-] (Mac)
    Cmd-ArrowLeft / Cmd-ArrowRight (Mac)
    Alt-ArrowLeft / Alt-ArrowRight (Windows, Linux)
    Ctrl-[ / Ctrl-] (Linux)

There'll be a menu option for this in a future version.
  • Thanks, keyboard shortcut works indeed! Extra button would be much appreciated as well.

And under (3), I actually meant middle-click on the (Windows) mouse, not double-click.