Storage Sync doesn't finish

Storage Synch stops at "48 % /230 kb remaining".
This has happended a lot of times. Sometimes it doesn't even get stared. (It never completed, indeed.)
Here is my error-no: 1911156919.
I am running Zotero 2.0b5. Web dav from www.mydrive.ch. - I already tried deleting "zotero" from my web-dav account and starting the storage synch again.
Normal Sync (without storage) usually works.
I did run the the debug-console (too long to post here).
Do you have any ideas?
Best,
Ralf
  • For a long time my sync always stopped 1 file short of completing (always approximately 1 MB, but the exact size varied from time to time). Then, one day it stopped 2 files short of completion (always approximately 2 MB, but again varying from time to time) and kept this up for a while. Recently, it went up to stopping 3 files short of completion..
  • Restart Firefox, enable debug logging in the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs, perform a sync, send in the debug output, and post the Report ID here. An error report from Report Errors under the gear menu would also be helpful.
  • Debug Report ID is D111527883.

'gear menu' error report ID is 786528682
  • I don't know if this is related or not, but it appears most of my attachments have never been downloaded to my home laptop (zotero doesn't give me any error messages regarding sync). I tried doing as before to see if it gives you any clues:

debug report ID D661787580

report error ID 520392875
  • Regarding the latter issue: after doing a 'reset file sync history' I think everything was downloaded
  • syregnask: On the computer that produced the debug output above, take a look in the 'storage' directory within your Zotero data directory for the folders with the following names:
    Creating EXRUMPRV.zip with 156 file(s)
    Creating KXQTKKUJ.zip with 1 file(s)
    Creating Q66JANT6.zip with 1 file(s)
    Is there anything distinctive about the files or filenames in those folders? Zotero is failing while zipping these directories.
  • Actually, I don't see anything particularly distinctive about these three. Also, there are no problems zipping these manually.

The latter two each contain a pdf file and a '.zotero-ft-info' and nothing else, while the former contains a lot of gif, jpg, png, js, css, and html (I'm guessing it's a snapshot of an online abstract).
  • No extended characters in the filenames? (Just in case any invalid characters are hidden, you might try retyping the whole filename and then relinking the file in Zotero.) Does the problem persist if you restart your computer? If you move one of those folders to your desktop and then sync, does the number of stalled files decrease by 1?
  • OK. Prompted by your questions I..
    a) closed firefox
    b) moved all three folders to the desktop
    c) started firefox again and sync'ed again - no problems
    d) closed firefox
    e) moved all folders back
    f) started firefox once again and sync'ed - still no problems!
  • Returning to the other issue - I seem to be having this as a general problem in the current version of zotero: my attachments are not downloaded unless I do a 'reset file sync history'
  • edited August 25, 2009
    Zotero's file sync code is currently being overhauled, and the in-development code has diverged from 2.0b6.5 to the point where debugging of existing issues isn't worthwhile. The updates will be available in 2.0b7, which we're hoping to get out this week.
  • Dan,

Here's a weird observation for you:

Recently the problem of sync'ing not completing resurfaced. I looked a little at the debug output and realized it was the exact same three folders as last time - and yes, the cure I employed last time also worked again.
  • Also, in Zotero 2.0b7.2 I'm still having problems with attachments not being downloaded.
  • I have recently begun having the same problem. My sync completes on download with 0 files and then hangs on upload after 387/389 files. I have run a debug as Dan suggested above. The debug ID is: D1707746029. I also ran report errors and received an error report ID of: 1320071295. Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • Just some more specs for the problem above.

I'm running Zotero 2.0rc2 with Open Office Integration 3.0a6 on Ubuntu 9.04.
  • balshemh: Does it count through 389 files each time, or just show two files now? If the latter, can you provide another Debug ID?
  • balshemh: In the latest dev build I've added better logging for the error you're seeing. If you want to try that, it might give you/us more information on this error. You can alternatively wait for the next release if you prefer, though using the dev XPI between now and 2.0 Final should be safe. If you do try the dev build, you can switch back to the official release afterward.
  • Hi Dan -- It's just counting through two files now and shows an upload of 0/2. I ran the debug again and have a Debug ID of: D1272021390 and a Report Error ID of: 1470089064.

I don't know how serious of a problem this is and what's not getting sync'd, but if it's a potentially serious issue and if it will help to fix the problem, I'd be willing to try the new logging in the latest dev build.

Thanks -- Howard
  • It's not a serious problem, but it looks like we'll need a Report ID from either the new build or the next release to solve it. Whichever you prefer.
  • Any idea how long until the next release?
  • We're into the release candidates, so a few days.
  • Then I'll just wait. I'll follow up with another debug and report error id after the upgrade. Thanks -- H
  • Hi,
    sorry don`t get it, how to open up a new question?

since I installed firefox 3.6 (from 3.5), my zotero icon and functionality are gone?

can you help?
  • they say, firefox 3.6 not compatible with Zotero. what can one do?
  • I am getting storage sync problems for many files. I am running zotero 2.0 beta with firefox portable 3.6.

The error report no. is 1689557662

I'm not sure what the problem is, I haven#t noticed anything similar when using zotero installed on my laptop.
  • edited January 29, 2010
    they say, firefox 3.6 not compatible with Zotero. what can one do?
    The Zotero 2.0 release candidates are compatible with Zotero. The 1.0.x branch is not and will not be. Stick with the Firefox 3.5.x branch if you need to use Zotero 1.0.x. If you run into issues with Firefox 3.6, see the support thread.