Footnote citation style with repetitive sources appearing only once?

Dear forum,

does anybody know a footnote citation style where several positions can refer to one and the same quoted source without listing it repetitively? It's hard to describe so here is an example of what I mean:

*PAGE START*
His name was John[1]. He had brown hair[2]. He invented strawberry soup[3]. Some people claim that his real name was Jack and that he stole the recipe[1,3]. But nobody ever questioned the colour of his hair[2]. ...
---
[1] Source1
[2] Source2
[3] Source3
*PAGE END*

Does anybody have an idea? Thank you in advance!
Yukusoona

PS: If there is such a style, how could I have found it on my own? I know https://editor.citationstyles.org/searchByExample/ but I cannot see a way to use this machine to find the above-mentioned citation style.
  • As a footnotes style, this doesn't exist -- Word footnotes are always sequential.
    Typically this is done with a numerical bibliography at the end of the work and any style labeled as numeric would do this:
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?format=numeric&dependent=0
  • If you are using a footnote style and do want to refer back to an earlier note, you can do that with Word’s Cross-Reference tool
  • >>As a footnotes style, this doesn't exist -- Word footnotes are always sequential.

OK, thank you, that is what I needed to know. I am currently re-organizing my personal notes and I would prefer my above-suggested way of displaying sources. In other word: I do not need an official citation style, it's for my convenience only. I had hoped somebody else might have gotten the same idea/need and maybe found a "do-it-yourself" citation style that matches my needs.
    Anyway, I guess, some other style will do as well...

Thanks and bye!
    Yukusoona

• Yes, any numeric style would be good in that case
  • Wouldn't cross-referencing the Word footnotes work though? What am I missing?
  • >> Wouldn't cross-referencing the Word footnotes work though? What am I missing?

Sorry, but I am not sure if I understand what you mean. If your advice is to use the Word-based referencing tool, I'd rather stay with Zotero. My scientific data base so far is in Zotero and I would like to go on using it for articles to be published. For my private notes, however, which I keep in large Word files, I would prefer a foot note citation style to not have to scroll down to the last bibliography page to look up my sources. I am searching for a comfortable citation style, which was the motivation of my beginning this topic. In my private "knowledge database" I use Zotero to keep track of which information I received from whom. I get a lot of good advises from my fellow scientists, so I generate Zotero items for each person (consisting of the names of these persons only) and than I label my information in my Word file with those names. Whenever I get back to my notes I can see who told me.

I understood your point that numeric footnote citation styles will always be sequential. However, does anybody happen to know a citation style which is footnote-based but uses the first author as in-line citation (rather than a number or letter)?

Example:

*PAGE START*
    His name was John[McDonald]. He had brown hair[Jackson]. He invented strawberry soup[Peters]. Some people claim that his real name was Jack and that he stole the recipe[McDonald,Peters]. But nobody ever questioned the colour of his hair[Jackson]. ...
    ---
    McDonald Source1
    Jackson Source2
    Peters Source3
    *PAGE END*
  • edited April 2, 2021
    That question was directed at adamsmith and bwiernik, but in any case, when you insert a footnote with Zotero then Zotero just tells Word "Please insert a footnote here". And you could then cross reference to those via the inbuilt functionality.
    That's what bwiernik mentioned up there.
  • What I was referring to is the “Cross-Reference” button in the References tab in Word. If you click this button, you can add a reference to a previous footnote, using the same number (note that the footnote itself isn’t repeated, only the in-text number).
  • @damnation They just probably want to be using a numeric style in this case.