Copy and paste citation within the document (LibreOffice 7.1.1.2)

edited April 1, 2021
Hi everyone!

When I insert a citation to LibreOffice Writer document, I can copy and paste it to another new document, it still keeps linking as a Zotero citation.

However, it was not the case when I tried to copy and paste a citation within the document itself.
That means the citation is no longer a Zotero citation but a normal text.
I tried using various available paste option like: richtext format, HTML, DDE link but neither of them worked.
If I try to paste as Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) link and it does paste as a link but not seem to be a Zotero citation link (ie. not show citation information when hovering the mouse on it).

I am using Zotero 5.0.96 (manually installed from Zotero website).

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.80.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.9.16-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Graphics Platform: X11

LibreOffice 7.1.1.2
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_281-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.281-b09, mixed mode)

Thank you very much!
  • I'm pretty sure the inability to copy LO Reference Marks is a limitation of LibreOffice and nothing Zotero can do anything about.
  • Oh, that is unfortunate!

I have switched from Windows 10 and MS Office to Linux with LibreOffice, but it seems to have many issues.

Anyway, thank you very much for your prompt reply!
    Also, I really appreciate your time and your contribution to the community. I went through many topics and saw that you answered almost every question in this forum!

Best regards!
  • Oh, by the way, the only solution is that I have to switch to Bookmark style and save the document as .docx MS Office file type (which I wanted to get rid of).
  • You can save files with bookmarks as .odt, I think the language in the add-on is just poor (though note that bookmarks really are very much a second best option -- they're much more fragile and they don't work in footnotes)
  • edited April 1, 2021
    Really?
    I think it says so clearly that "The document must be saved as .doc or .docx" when storing citation as Bookmarks.
  • yeah, just tested it out. Bookmarks work in .odt. The text has been there for ages and I think it's always been wrong.
  • It's interesting!

I think there should be some update on that in the future release.

Thank you for your help!
  • @adomasven might know but if I recall the issue wasn't with just saving but with transferring the document between LibreOffice (or OpenOffice, at the time) and Word, and something not working right when using .odt on one side or the other. Don't know if there's still a reason to say it.
  • Yes, that's correct. There is no good reason for normal LibreOffice writing to use Bookmarks, but if you are using them the idea is to collaborate with a Word user in which case the document has to be saved as .doc or .docx otherwise the bookmarks are not recognized on Word's end.
  • @adomasven Maybe my situation is now the good reason to use Bookmarks in LibreOffice?