[Zotfile] Extract Annotations from PDF Files in Ubuntu (Evince pdf editor)

edited March 30, 2021
Dear community,

I had a look at the mega-thread on Zotfile closed on May 2020, but I couldn´t find a suitable answer to my quite basic problem.

I installed the latest Zotfile extension, but the extracting annotation feature is not working. I am on Ubuntu 20.04, I use the default Evince as pdf editor (that I want to keep) and Zotero 5.0.96. My pdf are all indexed and saved as default each in a separate folder in ~/Zotero/storage/. In Zotero they attached to the Zotero entries.

In Zotfile general preferences I set the Source folder as ~/Zotero/storage/, and the Location of files as Attached stored copy of file(s).

If I open a pdf, highlight something, and save it, the Note section remains empty.
All the already highlighted pdfs still have the Note section empty.

Am I doing something wrong?
  • edited March 31, 2021
    Part of the answer is:
    1. No, it doesn´t extract the annotation automatically.
    2. FOR ONE FILE: right-click on the pdf, Manage attachment->Extract annotations
    3. FOR MULTIPLE FILES: open one of the parent item to show a pdf, ctrl+a to select all parent items in the folder of interest (can be MyLIbrary too), right click, Manage attachment->Extract annotations

The procedure is not clear described on Zofile.

NEW PROBLEM: when many files (ca. 800 in my case) are selected and Zotfile is asked to extract the annotations, the process gets stuck.