"Reference error: Zotero is not defined"

Since recently I've seen occasional Javascript errors when dragging PDFs from the web onto Zotero entries. I get "Reference error: Zotero is not defined". Just submitted error report 196911424.
  • [JavaScript Error: "Zotero is not defined" {file: "chrome://zoterename/content/zoterename.js" line: 133}]
    That's from a plugin.
  • Mark - you should go to http://www.tc.umn.edu/~kjamison/zoterename/ and use the contact details at the bottom of the page to report this.
  • Aha — it's since I installed Zoterename. Thanks!
  • I can definitely claim responsibility for that one. The problem occurs after you open a second firefox window (and thus a second copy of Zotero). The plugin only talks to one copy of Zotero, and once you close that window it doesn't have anybody to talk to.

The "good" news is that it won't affect any actual Zotero operations... just an annoying error message (and my plugin becomes usless until you close any remaining Firefox windows and reopen).

I apologize for not being able to fix it yet. In the meantime, to avoid the annoying popup window you can either disable the plugin or stick to single Firefox windows (which is hard I know).

---------
    In case any of the Zotero developers are watching, is there a good way to anchor an instance of a plugin to an instance of Zotero? If I could keep track of the two then I could solve this issue.

Thanks,
    Keith
  • In case any of the Zotero developers are watching, is there a good way to anchor an instance of a plugin to an instance of Zotero?
    There's only one instance of Zotero. In window contexts you can make sure it's pulled in by including include.js:

<script src="chrome://zotero/content/include.js"/>
    That gives you a Zotero object.