Error adding citations when document is stored in cloud

This discussion was created from comments split from: Error when adding citations (Report ID 1474897952).
  • Hi. I am having the same problems starting from today. Asking as solution to work on an offline folder is not actually a troubleshooting solution, since often working on cloud (on onedrive and sharepoint) is mandatory when collaborating on the same document with colleagues. In my case, I can simple drag the file outside the cloud to be able to add citations. When I move the file back to the cloud, it stops working again.
    May it be a bug? Until few days ago Zotero worked well both offline and online.
  • edited February 22, 2021
    Asking as solution to work on an offline folder is not actually a troubleshooting solution
    It's explicitly a troubleshooting step — we're saying to try that to eliminate other variables. If that fixes it for you, it's the issue discussed on the Troubleshooting Errors in Word Processor Documents page:
    If using OneDrive on Windows, save the copy of the document to your local hard drive, or try renaming the file to remove any spaces in the filename. OneDrive is known to interfere with the plugin for some people. If this fixes the problem for you, you can help us debug this conflict by posting to the Zotero Forums.
    Note the suggestion to try removing spaces from the filename.
    May it be a bug? Until few days ago Zotero worked well both offline and online.
    The problem with OneDrive (for some documents, for some people) is longstanding. There've been no recent changes there.
  • My mistake, I completely overlooked the suggestion to remove spaces in filenames. It seems to work now. Thank you for the quick answer to my message.
  • OK, yeah, we haven't been able to reproduce that problem, but it fixes OneDrive compatibility for a lot of people. We'll continue to investigate.