Communication error in Word

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero cannot be used in Word.
  • Hello, I have the same problem. Word 2019. I'm on Mac so I don't have any "task manager". the link sent to ckeck if the process is running as adminstrator isfor windows right ?
  • Thanks for your feedback.
    I have followed the process mentionned above until "delete extensions.json. and restart zotero".
    It still does not work. and when i go to zotero / tools / adds on : I cannot enable the word plugin because it does not appear.
    how can I add it to the extensions please ?
  • edited February 15, 2021
    Reinstall Zotero, and if you’re still having trouble provide a Report ID.
  • I have just reinstalled zotero.
    access is denied to the link Report ID you just sent
  • Sorry, I’ve fixed the link above.
  • Report ID 45420118

I cannot insert citations in Word

Steps to reproduce :
    following quick start guide and forum instructions I have installed Zotero, and the plug ins for Chrome and Word.
    the tab in word has appeared
    the zotero app functions well
    but I cannot add a cite in word.
    Error message "Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Zotero is open and try again."
    Following instructions, I have deleted .json extensions and restarted zotero. it would not change anything.
    when i go to zotero / tools / adds on : I cannot enable the word plugin because no plug in appears.
    I have unistalled and reinstalled zotero, i has not changed anything
  • Following instructions, I have deleted .json extensions and restarted zotero.
    Can you say exactly what you did? This isn't an accurate description of what you should do.

A few more things:

- Can you email the extensions.json file from your profile directory to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?

- Go to Applications, right-click on Zotero.app, choose "Show Package Contents", and go to Contents → Resources → extensions. Do you see zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org and zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org folders?

- Can you provide a Debug ID for the first Zotero startup after deleting extensions.json, using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option?
  • 1/ here are the 2 files I deleted : ListAll_hier 00.07.11.Json and engines 00.07.06.json

2/ yes I do see zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org and zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org folders in Contents → Resources → extensions

3/Debug ID : D210641760
  • edited February 16, 2021
    here are the 2 files I deleted : ListAll_hier 00.07.11.Json and engines 00.07.06.json
    I have no idea what those are or where those are from, but that's not what the instructions say to do.

The instructions say to delete extensions.json in your Zotero profile folder. You should not under any circumstances just be deleting random JSON files on your computer.
    ok thks for your feedback and sorry for not doing it right.

I restarted the process allover.

-Installed zotero 5.0
    -clicked on uploaded .dmg file
    -a box opens
    -I drag zotero icon to the folder close to it where it’s written « drag here to install »
    -back on zotero’s website I click on download chrome connector
    -the zotero app appears in my application folder, I click on it for it to open
    -I delete Zotero-5.0.95.3.dmg
    -then according to https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage
    and https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation
    Cmd-Shift-G and navigate to /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/install
    - Cmd-Shift-G and navigate to ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word
    -I copy the Zotero.dotm file from the first folder and paste it in the second folder mentioned above
    -in word if i try to edit or add a citation i will have the message « Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Zotero is open and try again »
    -i close zotero and word
    -following the last message you sent me i go to : /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Zotero/Profiles/<randomstring>
    -i delete following .json file : extensions.json
    -i restart my Mac and the Zotero app
    -I still get the message « Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure that Zotero is open and try again » in word
    -in zotero, i open Tools → Add-ons, but it says « you don’t have any adds-on of this type installed»

I just sent the extensions.json file to support@zotero.org mentioning this thread
  • Can you try closing Zotero and deleting all files and folders beginning with "extensions" in the profile folder?
  • there are no other file or folder beginning with "extensions" in the profile folder
  • Can you take a screenshot of that folder that shows all the files and email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
    This is very strange.

If you create a new Zotero profile (e.g., "Test"), do you see the plugins in Tools → Add-ons in there? (If so, we'll figure out why it's not working in your old profile.)
  • I created a new Zotero profile (called "test") and it works now.
    I can see the plugins in Tools → Add-ons
    and citation / bibliography works with Word.
    thank you for your help
  • Hmm, OK, so, I would suggest 1) making a backup of your original profile folder and 2) removing the existing files in halves to figure out which file, if any, is breaking it.

Close Zotero, copy half of the files to a temporary folder on your desktop, and then restart Zotero and see if the problem still occurs. If it does, close Zotero and move those files back, overwriting the new versions, and then try the same with the other half. If removing half does fix the problem, repeat the process with half of those. You should be able to find the problematic file this way in about five steps.

I would skip cert9.db, key4.db, and pkcs11.txt at first, and only move those together.

If you identify the file, keep a copy in case we need to do any further debugging.