Rename from metadata problem with 2.0b6.5

When I use the "rename file from parent metadata" feature on items that have both a snapshot and an attached PDF, the file name in the storage changes, and the file name in the left pane updates (next to "FileName:"). In the center pane and at the very top of the left pane, however, the attached PDF still carries the old name. Additionally, the buttons in the left pane reads "View Snapshot" and "Show File" instead of "View File" and "Show File. The "View Snapshot" button still correctly opens the file, though.
  • I assume you mean right-pane where you write left pane.
    That's actually intended (at least known, Dan wrote about that somewhere) and I think it shouldn't be changed.
    You still see the relevant information while you are in Zotero because the pdf is linked to an item (the rename option really is for looking at the file outside of Zotero.)
    Often the original Title is quite relevant, though - in many cases it tells you where the pdf is from (e.g. JSTOR, Ebsco, Science Direct), which I don't use all the time, but find interesting to know.

You are right about the Snapshot.
  • You are quite right. I mean right pane where I wrote left pane.

I would prefer that the item name change when the file name changes, since you can always keep a snapshot of the source web site along side it if you care about the details of where it came from, but I guess that's another discussion.

I guess that the thing I found very strange is that the behavior isn't actually consistent. Often times, the item is renamed when "rename file from parent metadata" is used. It doesn't always happen, though. It seemed like it might be tied to having a second attachment (like a snapshot), but I didn't fully characterize it.
  • I guess that the thing I found very strange is that the behavior isn't actually consistent. Often times, the item is renamed when "rename file from parent metadata" is used. It doesn't always happen, though.
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/7809/20b62-rename-file-from-parent-metadata-cant-find-file/#Item_8