Style Error: Methods of Information in Medicine

Hi.

So glad I found this style! It's almost compliant to the latest authour instructions.

There are two issues

- the period at the end of the reference that should be removed
- max number of authors to be displayed should be 6

Can you sort that out?

All the best,

Anna

https://www.thieme.com/media/ita/Methods_authors_instructions.pdf

• References must be listed in AMA style, using Index Medicus journal title abbreviations.
• References must be cited sequentially (NOT alphabetically) in the text using superscript numbers.
• By way of exception to AMA style, do not italicize book titles or journal title abbreviations and do not put a period at the end of a reference.
• List all author names, up to and including six names. For more than six authors, list the first three followed by et al.
  • There was more off than just those things mentioned. I had to create a whole new style.

https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/pull/4847
  • edited June 5, 2020
    @damnation Thank you so much! Very quick response indeed!

I think that this row should have a '3' instead of '6'.

bibliography et-al-min="7" et-al-use-first="6" second-field-align="flush"

I can't get that change into GitHub, can you?

Will this automatically update the file in Zoteros library or do I need to install it separately? Cheers! / A
  • No need for you to post the code.
    I know what to do obviously. ;)

Btw, if you know about CSL then you can always just submit a style or style fix yourself. See: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
  • thank you!
    I know a little, but not enought to sort it myself without a lot of effort. Thank you very very much for fixing it for me :)
  • Can I wake up this thread again? I am having trouble with page citations. The page number doesn't show in the text when I add it to the reference. Should I manage page numbers outside the reference? It works so neat in the harvard styles I was hoping it would work somehow also in this numbered style. (it's the journals choice of reference-system, not mine ;) )
    Thanks in advance, Anna
  • edited January 20, 2021
    Most numeric styles don't show page numbers in text at all. What are the journal guidelines for showing page numbers in text?

To see how to add these to a style, take a look for example, at the American Psychological Association style. If the journal guidelines give guidance on page numbers, we can update the style.
  • Thank you for your quick reply! They actually don't show what it should look like in the text, and other papers in the same journal don't show page numbers, so that might be the answer. Sad though, loss of information not to display it I think.
  • I definitely agree ;-). If you want to add them for your own use, see here for an example with a numeric style: https://www.zotero.org/styles/apa-numeric-superscript?source=1

But if you are submitting to the journal, I'd suggest following their conventions.
  • thank you! I'll take this for discussion with my supervisors and will suggest as you said - following the conventions of the journal.
  • Hi.

I've run into a problem with this style. When citing Web pages it says "date unknown", like below even though there is an access date. Can I get rid of it somehow?

SNOMED CT Editorial Guide. [date unknown]. https://confluence.ihtsdotools.org/display/DOCEG. Accessed October 5, 2020

Thanks, Anna
  • I think that's right for AMA style. You should try to add a date of publication for webpages whenever that's possible. E.g. for the linked page, the date of the current edition is clearly marked as January 2021 at the top of the page.
  • We made a custom style, as the style had some differences to AMA.
    I just checked, AMA doesn't have "no date" override, but this style has it.
    The guidelines are not specific, so I'd say we can leave it in unless the publishers say anything. Of course, add a date when there is on, as adamsmith says.
  • Thank you both for your replies. I've added dates for all but one that is not a so easily datable, we'll see what the reviewers say about that one. Thanks!
  • The reviewer has made comments on the citations of Papers presented at conferences and when I am now adding date and place (which was missing) I think they are presented in the wrong order.

Style guide:
    Eisenberg J. Market forces and physician workforce reform: why they may not work. Paper presented at: Annual Meeting of the Association of American Medical Colleges; October 28, 1995; Washington, DC

My paper:
    Pathak J, Jiang G, Dwarkanath SO, Buntrock JD, Chute CG. LexValueSets: An Approach for Context-Driven Value Sets Extraction. Paper presented at: AMIA Annual Symposium; Washington, DC; November 8, 2008

/Anna
  • Aslo (sorry about being a bit persistent...) I think that the style prints the name of the Proceedings, not of the Conference. Is that supposed to be so?
    I would have thought that "Presented at xxxx, date, place" would refer to the Conference itself, not the publication from the conference.
    What do you think? Regards, Anna
  • Papers not published in proceedings should be filed as "Presentation" not as "Conference paper". If there are published proceedings, those are almost certainly what you'd want to cite.
  • edited February 7, 2021
    Hi again, thankful for your help in sorting this out.

When I toggle to presentation it doesn't display the name of the meeting at all, even though entered in Zotero under "Meeting Name".

Entered as presentation:
    Sundvall E, Qamar R, Nyström M, et al. Integration of tools for binding archetypes to SNOMED CT. 2006

Entered as Conference Paper:
    Sundvall E, Qamar R, Nyström M, et al. Integration of tools for binding archetypes to SNOMED CT. Paper presented at: First Semantic Mining Conference on SNOMED CT; Copenhagen, Denmark; October 1, 2006
    (the text "First Semantic Mining Conference on SNOMED CT" is from the Proceedings Title-box in Zotero)

The style guide for the journal I am sending to states it wants the "Presented at..:" written out, and that leaves me with "Conference Paper".
    Also, most of these papers have been classified by Zotero as conference papers. But that is not a good argument, it might just be consistently incorrect... ;)

On the other hand, it's not a big deal, it doesn't show in my paper that the name of the conference comes from the name of the proceeding. It's just confusing to me. :)

That the location comes before the date is however wrong according to the journal. Is that fixable?

/ Anna

• I really suggest entering the items in the correct types, like adamsmith describes. If there is no published proceedings, don’t use Conference Paper. If the meeting name isn’t showing up, that would be an error in the style that needs to be corrected.

Can you show what you get when you cite a Presentation item and what you expect?
  • Hi again.

I agree entering things as what they are is the best. Maybe this also a misunderstanding (by me) here... Just to make sure I got this right:

presentation - a document that was presented at a conference

conference paper - a paper presented at a conference, published in a collection (proceedings from....)

Correct? Some material exists in both forms, and some state both the presentation and the proceedingsbibliography in the same text, for example https://bmcmedinformdecismak.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6947-8-S1-S7 (check the PDF).

When I enter it as a presentation in Zotero I get this:

Sundvall E, Qamar R, Nyström M, et al. Integration of tools for binding archetypes to SNOMED CT. 2006

The style guide states they want this:
    Citing a symposium article:
    Eisenberg J. Market forces and physician workforce reform: why they may not work. Paper presented at: Annual Meeting of the Association of American Medical Colleges; October 28, 1995; Washington, DC

When I enter it as a conference paper I get this:
    Sundvall E, Qamar R, Nyström M, et al. Integration of tools for binding archetypes to SNOMED CT. Paper presented at: First Semantic Mining Conference on SNOMED CT; Copenhagen, Denmark; October 1, 2006
    (the text "First Semantic Mining Conference on SNOMED CT" is from the Proceedings Title-box in Zotero)

/ Anna
  • The style is now fixed to display "Presentation" correct as per the guidelines. The Eisenberg example citation is actually taken straight from the AMA guidelines and is for an unpublished conference presentation. Not sure why they label it "Symposium" in that style guide.
  • Thank you! I've asked a relative in the states to mail stamps to you so I can have Zotero-stickers all over the place to spread the word about Z. thanks thanks thanks!
  • I received a comment from the editor: Ref. list "n" should be "n." I think this is to say that there should be a point after the number the reference has. The styleguide looks like this:

1. Citing a journal article:
    Newburger JW, Takahashi M, Burns JC, et al. The treatment of Kawasaki syndrome with intravenous gamma-globulin. N Engl J Med 1986;315:341–347
    2. Citing a chapter in a book:
    Toma H. Takayasu’s arteritis. In: Novick A, Scoble J, Hamilton G, eds. Renal Vascular Disease. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1995:47–62
    3. Citing a book:
    Stryer L. Biochemistry. 2nd ed. San Francisco: WH Freeman; 1981:559–596

Do you agree? Could you help med edit the style? Thanks!
  • Current example does not have a dot after the cite-number: https://www.thieme-connect.com/products/ejournals/pdf/10.1055/s-0040-1721727.pdf

I did however find an issue for chapters, a dot was missing after the container title. That's fixed now.
    If that's what was meant with "n."

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citation-style-language/styles/67149619b4ab7324f77b08988f8b96228dd4e157/methods-of-information-in-medicine.csl

• I should have checked myself what it looked like in real life. Sorry. Thank you for doing it for me.
    I've replied in the review that there are no dots in print.
    / Anna