Crashes when adding attachment

Crashes when adding attachment on Macbook Pro 2011 - OSX 10.9.5

No errors have been logged since Zotero started
version => 5.0.95.3, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.9, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.95.3, extensions => Zutilo Utility for Zotero (3.8.0, extension), Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.32.SA.5.0.95.3, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.25.SA.5.0.95.3, extension), Shockwave Flash (32.0.0.270, plugin)

Process: zotero [3632]
Path: /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/MacOS/zotero
Identifier: org.zotero.zotero
Version: 5.0.95.3 (5.0.95)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [237]
Responsible: zotero [3632]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2021-02-04 12:44:46.150 +0800
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.9.5 (13F1066)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: 62115ADA-8005-B55A-ABC6-E5E7E99BE86D

Sleep/Wake UUID: 834D2E16-73E3-4D93-8701-BCE33C2BE092

Crashed Thread: 53 Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.default-overcommit-priority

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
XPC domain creation failed: duplicate services found, could not resolve: zotero.ZoteroWordIntegrationService.
/Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/XPCServices/Z

Application Specific Signatures:
Registration error: duplicate services found, could not resolve: zotero.ZoteroW

• Sorry, we only support 10.11 or later (and that's been the case since 2019). All Macs running 10.9 can be upgraded to 10.11.
  • Thanks a lot for your reply.

Unfortunately other specialized software won’t work on later versions than 10.9. That’s a bummer, because Zotero was working perfectly until the last update. I could try to revert to the previous working version; when was the latest update?

Best wishes
  • It looks like this is just a bug in 10.9, but just to be sure, you're not somehow running two copies of Zotero, are you?

If not, you'd want 5.0.95, and to set app.update.auto to false in the Config Editor in the Advanced pane of the preferences. Just note that we can't provide support for older versions, you'll miss out on new features and bug fixes, and at some point things like syncing will be cut off.

The thing it looks like it's crashing on is related to a fix for Word integration on Apple Silicon Macs, and we'll be able to remove that if Apple fixes a macOS bug, but no knowing if/when that will happen.
  • That works for now; thanks a lot!

I don't think I do, but why do you say that I may be running two copies of Zotero? (I just have my Data Directory on the desktop for easy access because I'm slowly creating an external Base Directory in order to migrate my whole library to an external hard disc.)
  • I don't think I do, but why do you say that I may be running two copies of Zotero?
    You almost certainly don't if you don't think you do. There's just an error message that could be interpreted as two copies of an automatic background process running. But it's probably just a macOS bug triggering a confusing error message.
    (I just have my Data Directory on the desktop for easy access because I'm slowly creating an external Base Directory in order to migrate my whole library to an external hard disc.)
    That wouldn't be relevant to that above, though I'm not totally sure what you mean by this. The data directory and the Linked Attachment Base Directory aren't related.