Can't copy all citations to group

This discussion was created from comments split from: Downloading a Public Group Library in one click or follow.
  • I am having the same issue here - I am sharing a library with a student (I have 900+ citations for her to edit). I keep trying to drop my citations into the private group I created for her, but we are only able to see 50 citations. Any solutions here? I upgraded my storage to 2GB for the year, so that shouldn't be the issue (I was right at 300MB). Thanks!
  • It doesn't sound like your issue has anything to do with the thread you posted to, so moving this to a new thread.

Can you explain exactly what you're tying to do and what's happening? Are you using Zotero or the Zotero website? What do you mean by "we are only able to see 50 citations"?
  • I created a private group with my research student yesterday. I dropped my entire library of 900+ citations into this new group. Zotero said it was copying all of my citations for this new group, but we both only see 50 citations. I don’t know why but that’s all that keep appearing (just the first handful of the “A” authors from my library).

I deleted the citations once and copied them all again, and the same thing happened. We only see 50 citations in both the website AND the desktop Zotero. Again, I copied all 900+ citations, but we cannot access or find them from either of the programs.

It sounds like other people have had this issue with groups (I.e. limit of 50 for the number of citations people can share with one another in a private group), but I don’t see that limit listed anywhere on your explanation of the groups feature. So, I need to know why it’s happening, if there’s a work around for it, or if it’s a glitch on the Zotero end. My guess is that if you tried to make a new private group, and then copied citations into it, you would have this same issue too?

I want her to edit these citations, and then I’m going to put them back into my own library to use. So, I’d like her to have full access to all of these citations to simplify our goals this term.

• Again, though, are you using Zotero or the Zotero website to do the copying? You want to be doing this in Zotero.

If you are, can you provide a Debug ID for copying the items?
  • It sounds like other people have had this issue with groups (I.e. limit of 50 for the number of citations people can share with one another in a private group), but I don’t see that limit listed anywhere on your explanation of the groups feature.
    No, you were misunderstanding the thread you posted to. That was about something completely unrelated.
  • I transferred them in the website Zotero. Why does that make a difference? Is that part of the instructions somewhere that you must use the desktop version instead?
  • @tnajdek would need to look into this issue in the web library, but for any sort of significant work — and certainly for something involving 900+ items — you'd want to be using Zotero, not the website. The website isn't meant as a replacement for the desktop app.
  • edited February 3, 2021
    As for "instructions", all the hundreds of pages of documentation on this site are about the Zotero program, not the web library.
  • edited February 3, 2021
    As Dan mentioned, Web Library is not best suited for an operation like this because it doesn't necessary download all your items when it first loads, thus the way copying works in Web Library is quite inefficient. That being said copying should work (albeit slow) for any number of items, I'm going to look into this and try to find the reason why it breaks.
  • edited February 4, 2021
    Hi all -

I am now using the desktop Zotero for this action of transferring the citations to the private group. Importantly, Zotero would only transfer approximately 100 citations at a time. Otherwise, it just stopped loading them, and they never reappeared. Zotero also just crashed and indicated I should restart Zotero again during this process.

So, I am transferring the citations alphabetically by author's last name in smaller batches, and that seems to be working now (albeit as indicated, rather slowly).