Attaching multiple files to a single reference entry

I wondered if it were possible to attach multiple files to a single reference entry; for instance both a PDF of the full-text, and a word document and/or excel file with supplementary data?
I tried to do exactly the above today. I have a reference and its pdf already stored together in Zotero; I had located and downloaded the supplementary files for the reference separately, then used the right-click menu to 'attach files' which seemed to work. However I can't seem to do anything other than open the original pdf and I can't see a location for any additional files. Clicking the 'show file' option takes me to a folder with just the pdf.

Any help or advice welcomed.
  • They're just child items — click on the arrow to the left of the parent item's row to expand it.
  • So simple.... and perfect, thanks!
  • What are the pros/cons of attaching multiple files to a single reference? Is there a best or recommended practice?

I have attached multiple files to one item when I have multiple versions (e.g. drafts) of the same document. In general, I typically maintain a 1:1 relation between items and attachments.

Thanks for you feedback.
  • I have attached multiple files to one item when I have multiple versions (e.g. drafts) of the same document. In general, I typically maintain a 1:1 relation between items and attachments.
    That's entirely appropriate.
  • Yes, feel free to attach all of the relevant files to one Zotero item. I’ll often include the preprint version, the published version, and supplemental files attached to one item. You can set the title shown in the Zotero window by selecting the attachment in Zotero and clicking the bold title in the item information pane.
  • @bwiernik When you have multiple versions attached, which one will be viewed when you double-click the entry?
  • I believe it's the first one that is attached. You can click the dropdown arrow to the left of the item title to show all the attachments and select another as well.