Citations stuck on "{Updating}" in Googledoc

I'm having an issue where I cannot successfully add new citations using Zotero for Googledocs. When I try to insert a in-text citation in a Googledoc I'm writing, I successfully go through all the steps but instead of the authors and dates being added to the document, it simply says "{Updating}" in blue hyperlinked lettering where the authors and dates should be in regular text. I think it may be a document-specific problem because I can add citations in other Googledocs. The only issue I can think of is that a co-editor copied and pasted parts of the doc and added them in another location in the doc, which led to an error message saying a bunch of citations became unlinked. I tried to re-link those specific citations and I was successful on a few, but then I started getting the "updating" error message. Now, I can't add any citations without getting the error message. Please advise. Thanks!
  • Could you submit a Report ID from Zotero after a failed citation insertion/edit?
  • @chrisbuttimer Actually can you try the Zotero Connector Beta and see if it is fixed there?
  • I downloaded the Beta version and added it to my applications. Then I went back to add citations. The first one worked (as it had the other day), but now every one I add just goes back to the {Updating} error. I submitted an error report through desktop Zotero (though it told me there were no errors) and got this error report number: 883042601. I then submitted an error report through the extension in Chrome per these instructions (https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems) and got this error report number: 559274964. Please let me know if I can provide more information.
  • I'm getting the same issue. Eventually it loads the citation (but not always)
  • What worked for me was closing both the browser and zotero app, then re opening them. Clicking the hyperlinked {updating} citation> edit with zotero> yes , then cycle through to the citation editor of the zotero app which might be hidden behind your browser. The cursor within the editor will be positioned following the citation, you need to select the citation text itself so the edit fields open, don't change anything but hit enter, see the cursor within the selected text of the citation within the editor, then hit enter again.

I have no idea which of these steps are needed but it was the sequence that worked for me.
  • @chrisbuttimer @rwany_sibaja @criktech You should all try to download the Zotero Connector Beta (for Firefox), not the Zotero beta (the desktop client) and try testing whether citing works correctly.
  • @adomasven I use Chrome. It looks like there is no Beta connector for Chrome, is that correct (https://www.zotero.org/support/dev_builds#chrome)? Is it coming? I'll try to use Firefox and report back.
  • @adomasven I was able to fix the malfunctioning in-text citations in Firefox after downloading the Beta connector. However, I don't want to switch browsers and I'm still unable to add new citations or fix old ones in that document in Chrome, though I can add new ones successfully in other googledocs on Chrome, so it seems to be document-specific. Please advise.
  • We'll release an update with the fix on Chrome and let you know on this thread. Chrome extension review takes a while.